Chapter 42 - Teasing Revenge

It was late into the night and I made my way over to Dimitri's room. I quietly slipped inside to find him sitting on his chair, drawing something in his sketchbook. He looked really focused, his tongue unconsciously sticking out as he worked hard on whatever he was drawing. It was really cute.

I walked up and stood in front of him, looking down at what he was drawing. It was me again. He looked up and smiled at me. He closed the sketchbook and placed it on the table beside him with the pencil. He then patted his lap, motioning for me to sit down.

I sat down, resting my head against his chest. I closed my eyes as he wrapped his arms around me and we stayed like that, sitting in pleasant silence for a few minutes before Dimitri spoke up.

"I never thought I'd ever fall in love." He said softly, causing me to smile. "And I didn't think it was possible for someone to love me too." I stayed silent as he continued to talk, stroking my arm lightly as he did so. "I didn't understand love. I didn't get why people made such a big deal about it. People have done a lot of crazy things for love and I used to think them all so stupid. I used to think love was stupid. I hated it. Especially because of how it ruined my dad. When my mom left him, he was in such a horrible state of depression and I didn't understand it. I didn't get why he cared so much. Why he didn't hate her. Why he was so willing to forgive her if she just came back. That's what he told me. That he'd forgive her if she came back. I didn't understand how he could so easily do that. I didn't understand why he was so affected by my mom leaving. And I'm not saying that because I wasn't affected, because I was, more than anything. But he was in so much a worse state than I was in. I was angry while he was upset, sad, depressed and he just never wanted to do anything anymore. It was like his whole world had ended."

I wrapped my arms around Dimitri, hugging him tightly. We stayed quiet like that for a few more minutes before Dimitri spoke up again. "I finally understand it. I understand why my dad felt the way he did. I understand everything now. I understand love. As a child, I wished to never experience love especially if it was going to leave me the way it left my dad. But now, I don't regret it. I don't regret it at all. I'm happy that I got the chance to have a taste of something so beautiful. Now I can say that my life hasn't been a complete waste."

I felt like crying. He was so perfect. I felt like I didn't really deserve him. "Dimitri." I said, my voice shaking as I grabbed his face in my hands. I didn't even know what to say. I stroked his cheeks with my thumbs. "Your life was never a waste Dimitri. Why would you ever think that?"

"Ever since the Shadow had taken over me, I'd lived knowing I would die soon enough. I lived in this fear for so long that I never got the chance to live my life the way I wanted too. All I ever did was disappoint people. I've disappointed Devon so many times, I can't even count any more. I've disappointed all of Rovana because I let a shadow inside of me because of the stupid mistake I made. I've put all of Rovana in danger. And now I've put you in danger too. But I'm too fucking selfish. I can't bring it in myself to push myself away from you, yet I'm not doing anything to get rid of the Shadow either. How much more selfish can I get?" He exclaimed, the disappointment for himself showing clearly on his face.

"You're not selfish Dimitri. You've just lost hope. And I understand that. You just have to gain that hope again. And I'm willing to help you. I'll do absolutely anything I can to help you. Just don't push me away. Ever. Even if you feel like it'll hurt me. Don't push me away." I whispered. "I don't care if it hurts me. I just want to be with you at this moment. I just want to be happy for however long we can be. So no more negative thoughts, Dimitri. Okay?" I asked, as I leaned in and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

He nodded his head, before grabbing my face and pressing his lips to mine. I closed my eyes and kissed him slowly and deeply with as much passion as I could put into it. His hand rested at the nape of my neck, gently playing with my baby hairs there.