• | Chapter Seven | •

| Friday Afternoon. . .

Riley groaned in annoyance and deeply exhaled when Friday finally rolled around. She inwardly prayed that something would come along to cancel practice before she had to perform at halftime tonight. To her dismay, her prayer went unanswered and practice wasn't canceled.

"Riley, stay in step!" Trent yelled at her as she followed the others in the routine.

Riley inwardly rolled her eyes behind her poker face. She knew Trent still wasn't letting up from earlier this week because she was in fact in-step.

🌹

About two hours later, Riley sat in the very back of the bus to be by herself. Her body ached more than usual and she was highly annoyed that Trent kept calling her out every chance he got, regardless if she was in the wrong or not.

While the other girls were excitedly chatting among themselves, she slumped in her seat and listened to music on her phone. She watched the landscape go by as the bus traveled to a local college stadium where their home games were held. Once the bus arrived and parked behind the stadium, conversations stopped and Riley paused her music.

Trent did his usual motivation speech and at the end, threatened severe consequences if anyone dared to screw up.

"Alright, let's go!" Trent clapped his hands afterwards and everyone grabbed their weapons.

The flags were inside large duffel bags that were kept in another vehicle with the props.

The guard and band marched into the stadium and to their reserved bleachers in the stand. Riley saw Jay already sitting a few bleachers away and they waved to each other excitedly.

Riley couldn't leave the group until after the performance during halftime and once their short break ended after their routine, she had to return. She hated that she couldn't be with her best friend the entire game.

She sat at the very end of the bleacher next to the wall, and watched the first two quarters of the game.

"Hey, Riley." Jesse, a saber thrower, got her attention. "You're in Mr. Jackson's class, right?"

She nodded. "Yeah, why?"

Jesse scooted over as well as other several girls. Riley never really talked to them outside of practice, so she was confused as to what they wanted.

"What's his class like?" One girl asked.

"Like any other class." She replied, creasing her eyebrows at their questions.

"Is it true that Mr. Jackson shows porn videos and makes you take notes on it?" Another girl asked.

Riley stared at her dumbfounded, then blinked. "Where'd you hear that from?"

She shrugged. "People."

"No, he doesn't." Small lines formed on her forehead as she sat there both baffled and annoyed. It hasn't even been a full week and there's rumors already spreading about him. Dumb ones, at that.

Riley sat in boredom as she disproved all the sudden rumors about Mr. Jackson until halftime finally arrived. She exhaled a collective sigh of relief as she quickly grabbed her rifle and headed toward the football field.

Jay sat among the crowded stand, trying to locate Riley on the field. As soon as she did, the band started playing and the crowd immediately got hyped and blocked her view.

"Seriously?" She groaned as she stood up and left her spot. She pushed herself to the front and instantly saw Riley skillfully dancing whilst tossing her rifle with grace.