16. The Other Side of Me

16. The Other Side of Me: Charlotte's Pov

QOTC- Would you rather short, weekly updates or longer, bi-weekly updates? 

"Mom and dad were killed by Maddie herself."

"It was a m-murder?" I gasp. All I knew was that Brody and Maddie were the only family I had. Since I never heard of my other relatives and Brody always avoided the topic, I figured out on my own that our parents weren't alive. What I didn't know was that our sister would be behind it all.

"She couldn't get rid of them with the fires alone." Brody sighs. "During the second fire, mom and dad stayed inside to help everyone else get out. No one was trapped inside that time, but most were hit by falling bricks and the grass set on fire too. Since I was sixteen, they told me to go out and try to save as many people as I could."

"There was too much smoke." his eyes start to turn glassy as he speaks. "I just grabbed whatever I could get my hands on and hoped that it wasn't a burning corpse. Maddie must've had some silver essence poured into the fire because wolves don't get congested easily. Since I'm immune, our parents told me to help the others."

"W-Were you the only o-one who was immune?"

"In our family, yeah." he answers. "There are about twenty other wolves in Lunar Shadow who are to, but Maddie didn't know that I'm immune to silver. Originally, she was just going to get rid of us and our cousins, thinking that all the attention would go to her."

Brody looks down at me with an unreadable expression. "Most of our aunts and uncles were on life support when I rushed them to the hospital; our cousins passed away because of the fire and smoke. Mom and dad sent me to Tyler's territory to keep me away from Maddie. I stayed there for two weeks until Evelyn called me, she told me that mom and dad were killed by Maddie."

I stare into my brother's glassy eyes and listen intently as he tell me how our family members passed away. I start tearing up myself, knowing that Brody had to spend all of those years alone. "The moment I got back home, they showed me the pictures and let me go to the hospital where they were shot. I say that they died in the fire because that's the story that everyone knows, they were both critically injured and Maddie wasn't going to take them out with another fire. She had escaped the building that our parents had her stay in and got hold of a gun."

Brody rubs his eyes and takes a deep breath. "I got a note from her the day after their deaths, she told me that this was how she was going to make me suffer; that was how she getting her revenge. Since we took our parents' attention from her, she took them away from us. I think that you got it worse, you were abused. I was just alone and grieving."

"No," I shake my head. "I was doing fine with R-Red Stone, you didn't have anyone to lean on."

"Char, how the hell could you say that?" Brody runs a hand through his hair and sighs. "I may have been alone, but I wasn't getting the kind of treatment that you received everyday."

"I still survived."

Brody's Pov

"Look, I've meeting with Dr. Kale." I pause for a moment, looking at her arms to make sure that she didn't open any wounds again. "She and the nurses have been giving me reports on your health, the damage to your body from Red Stone is something that they've never seen before. The only reason you survived with them was because you already had health problems."