Chapter 4

Exciting chapter ahead. Excuse me for any mistakes, I'm writing this in the wee hours of the morning and don't feel like rereading it a whole bunch of times. I will later, though. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!

~

Abel had been courting April for two days now. He enjoyed her quiet temperament, as it matched his own.

Their days were spent reading to one another in the library and taking strolls throughout the garden. April learned that Abel lived outside the city and he kept to himself, working, almost reclusively, as an author.

April also learned that he had never been married. This intrigued her. She wondered how a man as handsome as he had never found a bride for himself. Surely, it would not be too difficult.

"So, Mr. Hugh, when are you going to read me your literature?" April asked. They were in the library now.

"Well," Mr. Hugh blushed, rubbing the back of his neck, "I'm not sure you would think it any good."

"Nonsense, read some to me." April said.

"Well alright, I cannot bring myself to deny a beautiful lady's request." Abel surrendered, making her smile.

He had spent time with April doing simple things like reading and taking walks. Whenever he was alone with her he felt an attraction like no other. It was sexual, the tension that hung behind his every move.

He vowed himself to maintain a chaste and platonic relationship with her though; he wanted to be the best gentleman he could be. For her, he would do anything.

In the short time that he'd known the eighteen year old, she had displayed an insight beyond her years. And she enjoyed the same literary contemporaries that he did; which only made their connection stronger.

As for April, she could honestly say that he was a breath of fresh air. He made her pain bearable and she enjoyed seeing him each day. He made her happy.

"Well, go on then," April playfully encouraged.

"As you wish. I shan't keep you waiting any longer." Abel said before clearing his throat.

He opened up the notebook that he always kept with him and began to read.

"Red is the color of desire; the fire in her eyes.

Purple is the color of passion; it had me hypnotized

Amber is the color of attraction; and I was none the wise

Black is the color of seduction; that led to my demise.

Fuchsia is the color of love; she never realized

Primrose is the color of forever; now I am paralyzed."

He read each line with such honesty and it captivated April.

When he finished he looked up at her, his eyes filled with an something she recognized: pain. She no longer smiled but looked at him earnestly trying to discover what pained him so.

"See," he said quietly, "I knew you would not care for it. Sorry to replace your happiness with such melancholy." He looked away, upset at himself for ruining her mood.

"No," she reached over and held his hand, "I loved it. Really, I did."

He looked up at her. In that moment they understood each other.

April spoke up, "Did she break your heart...this woman?

"My dear, these are just old wounds from an old man. Don't worry about me." He said before attempting to smile kindly.