The Mimic Discovery

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION - November 13th

10:09AM

Artemis sat perched in an alcove of the cliffside as the Team carried out Desmond's instructions.
"Artemis in position." she said telepathically.
"Kid Flash in position."
Superboy pounding away at a guardsman and the whoosh of Miss Martian throwing him aside showed that they were too.
"Green Light, guys." Desmond's voice said. "Go!"
They all ran along the narrow, winding rock faces of the cliffs until they reached the place Desmond ordered them to go. Expecting a large battalion of armed guards, they instead found a small, dark and dank cave entrance, which was dimly lit by a single light dangling from a wire.
"A cave?!" Superboy exclaimed into the Team's minds. "I thought we were attacking one of the Light's bases?!"
Suddenly, there was a small whirring as the cave floor began to open up, bathing the coarse, rocky walls in a soft white light.
"I'm guessing that your stunned silence means that the cave is opening up?" Desmond snickered, amused by Superboy's cluelessness.
"What are you doing in the Bio-Ship anyway, Desmond?"
"Making out with Zatanna..." Desmond's voice said nonchalantly.
The whole Team blushed furiously. How could Desmond admit something like that openly?!
"No he's not!" Zatanna's flustered mind screamed out to them, barely audible over Desmond's laughter.
"We're working on something..." Robin told them. "Trying to recalibrate some technology that Desmond smuggled away from Savage..."
"And it might take a while..." Desmond added. "Zatanna and I will be joining you guys soon while Robin adds the finishing touches. Desmond out."
Desmond's voice disappeared from their minds while the Team looked at each other with confusion.
"Who says 'out' in a telepathic conversation?" Kid Flash asked.
"Let's not worry about that right now." Artemis said. "We'll split up from here and cover separate areas of the base..."
Then Team all nodded in agreement. By the time they had turned around, they were all heading in different directions.

It had only been a few minutes, but Artemis had already seen more in this base than any other infiltration mission. There were pale, icy-white walls, guardsmen hurrying around like frightened rabbits on the floors below, carrying strange items back and forth. These items looked eerily like the things she had seen at Cadmus and all the other bases she had infiltrated with the Team.
Carefully checking that there were no guards on the same floor as her, she bashed her bow against a small, wooden box, sending small splinters and bits of mesh all over the floor. She reached in and picked up a strange device that was nearly as big as her bow.
It looked like a box, one that was coloured in a odd mix of black, silver and orange lines on a red surface, and with several large yellow buttons on the centre and sides.
In all her years, she had never seen anything like this. Just holding the device in her hands set alarm bells off in her head to put it down, back away and act like she had never seen it before.
Suddenly, there was a small, muffled groaning and the sound of something being beaten, making her spin around instinctively with her bow drawn and her heart pounding.

She was greeted by the sight of Desmond, who had a guard caught in a strong neck lock, making him flail and grunt like a startled bird.
With a final grunt and roll of his eyes, the guard fell to the floor unconscious, his body flopping onto the ground like a ragdoll made of jelly.
"I could have taken him-" Artemis began.
"Even when he had the trigger already pulled back halfway?" Desmond asked. "And the fact that the gun was at point blank range?"
Artemis went quiet as Desmond picked up the guard and threw him into the box.
"If I had LITERALLY been even a nanosecond later, he would have killed you."
He slammed the lid onto the guard's back and slid the box into it's place before walking away from her.
"Come on." he said to her. "We're close..."
The two began to walk alongside each other before Artemis began to ask her questions.
"Where exactly are we?"
"A research facility." Desmond explained. "One of the biggest that the Light has."
Artemis recalled the devices that were in the boxes she found, the ones she thought that the Light had made.
"So that stuff in the boxes..."
"...Weren't made by the Light." Desmond finished. "They were gifts from someone else."
"Who?" she asked. "What kind of person would give the Light that sort of stuff?!"
"Not a person..."
"Huh?"
"Not a person" Desmond repeated. "The term 'person' would imply that the stuff is from Earth..."
Artemis' heart sank. Her blood froze so quickly at Desmond's words, she almost stopped moving.
"You mean..?"
Desmond nodded, confirming her fears.
"The technology is alien..."
Even though she was expecting that answer, it didn't stop her from reacting with panic.
"What do you mean aliens?! Why would they join the Light?!"
Desmond put a stern finger to his lips, ordering her to be quiet before explaining.
"It was right after the mission where I went into that trance..." he said. "The one where I killed Count Vertigo and Vandal Savage first approached me..."
He knelt down near the ledge and watched the guards, who were still rushing around with the boxes.
"Savage gave me a device exactly like the ones in those boxes, saying that it was to be used if I needed to see him again. I went to Batman, hoping that he could explain what the device was and when he couldn't, he realised that it wasn't something of Earth and that the Light were some how getting a hold of alien technology and that this was the time to start investigating them..."
Everything clicked into place in Artemis' head.
"That's why you joined them!" she exclaimed. "That's why you and Batman investigated the Light! You were looking for the alien tech!"
"And we were looking for YOU!" a voice yelled out behind them.
They spun around, just as a large, black javelin launched itself at them. Desmond pulled Artemis into his arms just as it blew up, sending them flying down onto the floor below them. The Superman DNA from the capsule he had during the battle with Ivo kept Desmond alive, but with the hard floor and Artemis' added weight, he was still in pain.
Artemis rolled off of him and aimed her bow upwards, scowling at the hockey-masked face standing on the bleach white railing above them.
"Sportsmaster." Desmond spat, pulling himself off the floor.
And with a sadistic laugh, Sportsmaster lunged at them both.

Artemis and Desmond have been discovered!
Now that Artemis has discovered the reason behind the Mimic Contingency, will she and Desmond live to see it complete?!
Or have they both come this far for nothing..?

And just who are these aliens that Desmond has been looking into?
Find out in the next chapter! :D
Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and comment your thoughts so far! :D
What do YOU think will happen in the Mimic Contingency's THRILLING, last two chapters? :D

- Kai-Shiro :D