chapter twenty

chapter twenty

WE HAD MANAGED TO find our way to the zoo because it was one of Lulu's favorite places, or something? Honestly, I think this is all just a little outrageous for a C. She must be having a birthday soon or some kind of amazing event coming up.

"Aw, look at the little meerkats!" Olivia stood on the rail and leaned into the exhibit. I took a sip of my ICEE and looked at where she was pointing. I mean, yeah, the meerkats were incredibly cute.

"Look at the one picking at his butt." I laughed and pointed in the direction of that one meerkat. By the time she finally looked, it had stopped. "Aw, you missed it."

"Fuck." She practically yelled. I shushed her immediately and looked around at all the little kids around us, but she really didn't seem to care. "I wanted to see that one!"

"It's okay!" I laughed and started dragging her inside the tunnel where everyone else was. Apparently there were spiders and snakes inside there and I wasn't too keen on checking it out. As soon as I looked into the glass box to my left, I closed my eyes and crossed my arms across my chest. I hate spiders.

"Ashley, you okay?" Olivia chuckled beside me. I kept my eyes squeezed shut as I shook my head and smiled. "Okay, good, because I'm scared of spiders, too."

I peeked through my eyelashes and saw her standing right in front of me.

"Really?"

"Yep, really, I don't want to see any of this. So we can be losers together." She smiled. I dropped my shoulders away from my ears and smiled at her. She linked arms with me and led me through the tunnel at a very fast pace as I laughed at May Parker's confused face when we passed her.

     We finally left the tunnel with everyone else quick on our tail. First it was Kyle, then May, and so on.

     "What were you guys doing?" May tried to catch her breath and I just smiled at her. She was just so funny and I don't really know why I saw it as amusing.

     "We hate spiders." Olivia spoke up for the two of us. I nodded my head and laughed at everyone who looked at us like we were crazy. Are we the only ones scared of spiders and snakes? Is that so illegal?

     "Y'all are losers." Chase chuckled. Everyone joined in and we began to walk to a new exhibit. Olivia still had her arm linked with mine, even though I didn't ask for it, but I didn't mind. We passed by families, staff members, teenagers, a couple people from my school, and more. It was like a giant place for a reunion.

     "Can we go see the elephants?" Lulu whined. We all said yes to her, only because today is all about her (Olivia whispered that in my ear), but I also wanted to see them, too. I love elephants. I actually love all animals, except spiders and snakes, of course. They don't even count as animals, really.

"Hello." May slide to my left side and linked her arm with mine. Now I have Olivia to my right and May on my left. We were taking up quite a lot of space as we walked, but I tried not to pay much attention to the people who had to move for us. I felt so bad, though.

"Hi." Olivia and I said at the same time. May smiled at me and then leaned forward to do the same to Olivia.

"Do you guys want to go see the sea animals and shit like that?" May asked. My eyebrows perked up immediately as I found my mouth settling into a smirk. May remembers what I want to be when I grow up.