Chapter 2

Elijah was inspecting his shoes when his half-brother, Niklaus, barged in. "You approached her!"

Elijah looked up, but didn't pay any more attention. He returned back to his shoe, before approving it and putting it down. He turned his head up to his family and tuned back in when his mother told Niklaus to come with him.

Elijah spoke to his other siblings, "I'm going out for a bit."

They looked shocked but didn't say anything.

On his way out, he took the invitation to the ball that he had kept apart with the personal message on the back and was out the door.

In his car, he thought back to the previous night and the conversation they had in his car when he gave her a ride. It was brief, but it was nice.

They were laughing and joking about the past. He just wanted her to forget about her worries for one moment. Even if it was just a second.

He stopped in front of a small mansion and was impressed. He didn't know she, or her 'grandmother' were so whealty.

"Nice place." Elijah comented.

She smiled kindly, "Thank you."

"I'm sorry for my sister." Elijah apologised.

Adelaide shook her head. "No, don't. It's okay. I don't care about that. It is not your fault that your sister attacked me."

"Only because you protected your friend." Elijah sighed.

Adelaide nodded. "Only for that. Anyway... Thank you for the ride and I'll see you around, I guess."

Elijah nodded. "I'll see you around."

He was brought back to the present with a shock. "Adelaide..." He sighed out, stopping in front of the house she resided in. He rushed to the door, dropped the envelope on the porche. He knew she was still inside and was getting ready to leave. Probably to the hospital.

He rushed back to the car and drove away. He parked a bit further and watched as the smile grew on her face when she read the note. He saw her drop the note inside before starting to walk.

He didn't know why he cared, but he didn't like that she was walking. Even in daylight, something could happen to her.

Although he didn't know why or how he could care for her so strongly, so fast, he gave in to his impulses and followed her.

When he saw her go into the hospital safely, he went downtown for a couple of hours. He needed to visit an old friend of his and he knew where he could find him.

After talking to his old friend he got the answers he was looking for and went to the car when he saw Adelaide walking with her hands full. She looked like she was having trouble, so being the gentleman he was, or at least believed to be, he went over to help.

"Can I help, Adelaide?" He asked politely.

Adelaide nodded after her voice was lost behind the boxes. Elijah took over all the boxes and when Adelaide went to protest, he gave her a look telling her he was handling it and she shouldn't worry.

She walked to her car which appeared to be an old chevrolet. He was impressed it looked that good and was still running, it had to be at least fifty years old.

"I work on it myself." She told him when she caught his look.

He nodded. "So, you're good with cars then?"

She swayed her head from side to side as he was putting the boxes in the trunk. "I got help"

"Help?" He couldn't help but ask. 

She nodded. "Yeah, Matt helps me from time to time, but it's mostly me. Like when I'm on the road." 

"Ah, yes. I have been told that you go to college, but you're on a break?" 

Adelaide nodded and he saw streaks of hazel hair in between the dark brown mess when her hair met the right sunlight to show it. It was official, he was smitten with the young witch. 

 "Yes, I go to Shepherds University. Shepherdstown?" She answered, closing her trunk. 

"Yes," He drew out, "I think I may have heard of it." 

Adelaide nodded, "Well, I have to go. I have this ball to get ready for." 

Elijah nodded. "Yes, I heard about that. Are you going?" 

"Oh, yes. There was a gentleman that even requested a dance with me." 

"One dance only?" Elijah asked. 

"That was what the card said." 

"So," Elijah started, stepping closer to her, "I could have you to myself all evening long, if I simply asked?" 

Adelaide nodded, not trusting her voice as Elijah was so close to her. Her heartbeat was picking up, Elijah heard. Was she as nervous around him as he was around her? It was the first time that Elijah was like this around a woman. He wasn't nervous per se, but he wasn't his normal, calm self either. All he could think about since yesterday was Adelaide, she was constantly on his mind. Even when he was asleep. 

His dream was weird though, it was too real to be a normal dream, but it couldn't be a glimpse of the future either, as it was in the past. It was her in the village he grew up in. They were running around as children and later on, as adults. It was on the night of the feast, the same one where he danced with Tatiana. He saw her on the feast as well, but she wasn't her usual self. She pretended to be happy, but he could see she wasn't. 

Then he saw her the night that he turned a Vampire. He was listening to her argueing with his parents about how wrong it was. About how she had already upset the Balance of Nature and they would only add to it. But she helped her mother anyway because she had helped Adelaide  three years before. She told Esther there was no way out. 

When he woke up again as a Vampire in his dream he saw her compelling his siblings to forget about her, when she came to him he begged her not to do it. She broke down in tears and told him it was the only way they could live on. He told her he loved her, and she stopped crying and professed her own love for him. She compelled him to forget about her and he woke up a sweating and panting mess.  

He could feel in his dream that it was true. He did love her. But he was confused, if he loved her in a dream, did he love her in real life? 

And, she was a Witch so that meant she couldn't be a Vampire. Unless, she was...

"Elijah?" He was brought out of his mind by her voice. 

He smiled and took her hand in his, a current of elecricity running through his body. He ignored it, and looked her in the eye. "Adelaide, would you do me the honour of being my date this evening?" 

"Why, I'd love to." Adelaide answered. Elijah smiled and kissed the hand he held. "Anyway, I really have to go. I have a date to impress." 

She stepped in her car and drove off. 

"You have already impressed me."