Ch. 17: Right Back At It Again

~So here I am, I'm right back at it again, just like I've always said~

Kiyomi's POV

The days following my little breakdown that night were pretty routine. Wake up, eat breakfast, train, eat, train some more, eat, then sleep.

Repeat each day.

But tonight was different. Naruto and Sasuke has just staggered into Tazuna's house as we were getting ready for dinner. They were exhausted and supporting each other, and announced that they'd completed the tree climbing.

"Great!" Kakashi smiled. "So tomorrow we'll all go and guard Tazuna! Including you, Kiyomi. No more private training with your wolf."

I nodded, and resumed eating. Naruto and Sasuke had collapsed in the doorway, and Sakura was helping them up. But I saw no need to help, as it seemed the pinkette had it covered.

"Well, the bridge is almost complete!" Tazuna said happily, smiling as he ate.

Tsunami then walked in, carrying plates of food for the two boys, who were now seated at the table. "That's great and all Dad, but please don't overdo it!" she pleaded, setting the food down.

By this point Naruto was practically napping on the dinner table, grinning happily in his almost-sleep. Inari was watching the blond angrily, and there were tears brimming in the young boy's eyes.

Then he finally snapped. "Why?" Inari hollered. "Why do you try so hard? It's not like you'll accomplish anything! No matter how hard you work, no matter what things you say, you're still weak, and no match for Gatou's men!"

Everyone was silent, even Fenrir. We all watched Naruto, waiting to see what the blond's response would be.

Naruto didn't move, didn't even raise his head. "Whatever," he grumbled. "I'm not a crybaby like you."

Inari started yelling again. "Well, I'd hate to be you! You don't know anything about this land, and yet you're so nosy!" he screamed. "What the hell do you know about me either? You're always clowning around, I bet you have no idea how hard life can be!"

"So it's okay to cry all day and act like you star in a tragedy?" Naruto said lowly, growling slightly. Then his head raised, showing that the blond was staring angrily at Inari. "Just keep on crying forever, little baby!"

'That was harsh,' I thought to Fenrir. 'But it's accurate. Inari can't have lost any more than Naruto, who doesn't have parents.'

'The kid needed to grow up,' Fenrir scoffed. 'Fox boy was completely justified in his words.'

'Maybe...'

'And plus,' the wolf added. 'Even you and Sasuke have lost more than Inari. Heck, the kid's still got a grandfather and a mother! He should realize the importance of that.'

'He's young, and kind of stupid,' I shrugged. 'He'll grow up.'

'I sure hope so... Otherwise his life is going to suck.'

I excused myself from the table after that, and headed up to my room for some sleep. I hadn't trained as much today as I have in the past, but I'm still feeling the effects of chakra deprivation. As I walked upstairs, I scented Kakashi and Inari outside. Guess Kakashi was telling the kid about Naruto, and what he's lost. Or never had in the first place.

'Hope that's a wake-up call for the brat,' Fenrir grumbled. 'Now go to bed. Your exhaustion is affecting me.'

'Fine, fine,' I rolled my eyes. Then went to bed.