Chapter 7: The Hunt

Sunlight exploded into the room as the maids pulled the curtains open. Thoroughly disoriented, I sat up, fisting the sleep from my eyes.

"Good morning ladies, breakfast is served," the maid said, bobbing a curtsey before disappearing through the service door. Emily let out a little moan before rolling over and pulling her pillow over her head. Rosanna yawned, sitting up and stretching. I debated lying back down, my eyes heavy from lack of sleep, when the smell of breakfast wafted in from the sitting room.

I nearly leaped from the bed, stuffing my feet into slippers before padding out to the sitting room. Ella's door was still closed so I happily sat and helped myself to breakfast. A few minutes later Rosanna emerged, still yawning.

"Will we always be up this early?" I asked her, as I helped myself to more buttered toast. She was looking down at a paper that had been wedged in with the breakfast items.

"Usually not, but there are plenty of activities today - including the first hunt," she said, avoiding my eyes as she handed the paper over to me. It appeared to be a social calendar for the day, announcing the hunt departing the city at 10am followed by a late picnic lunch and a debutantes-only dinner with the royal family.

"It will be so wonderful to spend time outdoors!" I said, my face splitting into a grin as I looked outside. It was cloudy, but thankfully there was no rain.

"Indeed, especially since you missed tea yesterday," Rosanna said, watching my reaction. I fought from rolling my eyes, my excuses already made to Ella before dinner last night.

"If it's any of your business, I was taking my tea with the princess," I said, shoveling a forkful of eggs into my mouth while returning her stare. Rosanna's eyebrows shot skyward, but she said nothing, instead dropping her eyes to her own plate. The silence hung between us as Emily groaned and grumbled from our bedchamber.

"Have you hunted before?" Rosanna finally asked, the silence straining her politeness. I half wished she'd have allowed me to eat in peace so I could be done before Emily made her appearance, but she was too well-bred to allow the silence to stretch on too long.

"Oh yes, my brothers enjoy it very much," I replied between mouthfuls. She nodded absently, taking a piece of toast as Ella's door opened. Rosanna sprang to her feet, a grin on her face to wipe away the look of concern that had been there moments before.

"Breakfast?" she asked, holding a chair out for Ella. My cousin yawned, looking similarly exhausted.

"I have no idea how I'll stay on my horse, I tossed and turned all night after watching the prince's fencing practice yesterday," she sighed, reaching for the tea Rosanna poured her.

"I fear I may have to sit this event out, Ella," Rosanna said when the three of us were happily munching on breakfast. Ella set her toast down.

"Is everything quite all right?" she asked, frowning. Rosanna forced a smile.

"Yes of course. But I...after my brother's accident, you see..." she began, but was silenced when Ella reached over and patted her hand.

"It's quite all right, I'm sure Libby and Emily will be more than enough company for me," she said.

"What company?" Emily yawned, finally emerging to sit across from me.

"On the hunt, silly! We'll get to see the prince again as well!" Ella mooned, hardly able to keep the wistful excitement from her face. Emily's face broke into a smug little grin.

"Yes, you missed quite the afternoon Libby," Emily said, sitting down and daintily folding her napkin into her lap. This time I rolled my eyes in earnest, determined not to rise to her taunting.