• | Chapter Nine | •

| Sunday Afternoon. . .

"Keep your chin up, Darcy." Riley spoke to one of her students while they gripped the ballet barre to maintain their balance during the plié.

Darcy did as she was told and both exchanged brief smiles. Riley regularly worked at the downtown dance studio as a dance teacher assistant at least three times a week, especially since she wanted to major in the Arts once she went to college. She got along with the students quite well and they were all like little siblings to her. Basically, she considered everyone at the dance studio her extended family.

"Alright, that's it for today." Aria, one of the dance instructors and the owner, said as she turned off the music. "I'll see you all tomorrow."

Aria taught mostly ballet and jazz, although she would sometimes teach hip-hop. She started up the company once she graduated from college, and she immediately took Riley under her wing on her first day. Since they often worked together, she and Riley had become quite close.

The girls scattered about as they grab their things and said goodbye to Aria and Riley. Riley watched the girls walk out the studio to their awaiting parents, when Aria suddenly nudged her.

"Do you know him?" Aria asked her as she removed the ponytail holder, letting her wavy brown hair cascade past her shoulders.

Riley looked to where Aria pointed out the person. His familiar blue eyes met with hers as he walked toward her from the other studio door. He was dressed casually, wearing a dark blue shirt and jeans.

"He's cute." Aria winked at Riley and she blushed.

"Hey." Javen spoke when he reached them. "Riley, right?"

Riley nodded, suddenly remembering that she was never introduced to him. "How'd you know?"

"Craig told me." He softly smiled and turned to Aria. "Sorry I didn't introduce myself. I'm Javen."

"Aria." She responded with a sly smile. "Are you Riley's secret boyfriend?" Aria gave Riley the side-eye.

Riley rolled her eyes and smiled. "No, I met him at a party last night. Speaking of which, how'd you find me here?"

"I asked Craig, then he asked Jay who told me you were here." Javen chuckled. "I actually wanted to get to know you more."

"Ooh, I'm gonna leave you two alone." Aria smirked before walking away.

Riley's cheeks flushed as he stepped close enough for her to breathe in his luscious fragrance. "Wow, you smell amazing." She absentmindedly spoke, becoming sheepish immediately after.

He smiled and let out a deep chuckle. "Thank you. I can say the same for you, too."

Riley smiled. "Thanks."

Javen reached down to gently hold her hand. "Are you busy right now?"

Riley shook her head. "I'm free. What's up?"

"I want to take you out for lunch. Sound good?"

She nodded. "Sounds great. Let me just grab my purse."

He briefly let her hand go and she hurried to get purse. When she came back to his side, he placed an arm around her waist. "I hope you know I'm paying for us."

"Javen, you barely know me. I can't let you pay for me." She said as he guided her out the studio.

'First Mr. Jackson, now Javen.' Riley shook her head at the thought.

"I don't mind. I had a great time last night with you and I feel that I should treat you today." He smiled softly and she returned one back.

🌹

Javen's car was parked on the side of the street near the dance studio. Although the downtown area was quite spacious, there were plenty nearby restaurants within walking distance. Instead of driving, they decided to walk to one of the most popular, inexpensive restaurants around.

"So you like to dance?" Javen asked her as they ate.

"Yeah, I love it. I've been dancing since I was five or six, so it comes naturally when performing." She replied before savoring the grilled chicken from her salad.

He smirked at her expression. "It's delicious, huh?"

She bit her lip shyly and nodded. "Very. Thank you for taking me out."

"It's no problem." He winked, biting into his BLT.

"I don't think I ever seen you at school. Do you go to Ridge Blue High?" She asked and he shook his head.

He swallowed the bite of his sandwich before responding. "I'm actually in college. Craig and I met through his brother and we became good friends."

"Oh, cool. What college do you go to?"

"University of California, Los Angeles." He immediately laughed at Riley's shocked expression.

"That's my dream school!" She exclaimed. "I heard they have a killer Fine Arts program."

"It's an incredible school." He agreed, nodding his head. "You plan to attend next year?"

"I hope so. I already did an application for it. I'm just waiting for the acceptance envelope."

"I know you'll get it pretty soon. It's exciting to think we'll be going to the same school." He grinned at her as she stared into sparkling eyes before she eventually turned her attention back to her salad.

"So, what year are you in?" She asked him.

"I'm a sophomore. I'll show you everything you need to know by your freshman year."

"You're a really kind person, you know that?" Riley said causing him to blush this time.

"I've been told." He smiled sheepishly. "But thanks for the compliment."

"Welcome." She smiled back, finishing her salad.

They both stood from the table shortly after their meal and Javen paid the bill while Riley left a tip. He took her hand into his as they were leaving.

"Where to now?" He asked, slightly swinging their hands as if they were an actual couple.

Riley giggled. "Wherever you want to go."

"We can just walk around." He suggested.

"I'm cool with that." Riley softly smiled as they went off to sightsee the local area.