Chapter 13

2:18

Is the time as I look up at the big clock hanging on the wall opposite to me for what seems like the tenth time in the past thirty minutes.

Knowing the time wouldn't pass by any faster by just staring at it, I move my gaze to my foot and try distracting myself to the rhythm I've been tapping against white tiled floor.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Pause. Tap. Tap. Tap-

I stop and groan internally. That didn't seems to work either as I feel my patience slowly dissolving.

I need answers. A lot of them.

But mostly I need to know if Rebecca's doing well. From how I saw her last time blood-covered completely, I can tell that she's not.

The nurses and staffs were holding shocked and horrified faces when we first came rushing in with an unconscious Rebecca.

I believe for them this is the first time they've ever witnessed such a thing.

The doctor who entered into the emergency room has still not yet come out to let us know how she is doing.

A tired sigh sounds from next to me, pulling me away from my train of thoughts. Emma's bend forward in her seat with her elbows placed on her knees and her fingers working fastly on her phone.

A text pops and she sighs again.

"This is the fifth time I see you receiving constant texts. Is something wrong Emma?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"No no nothing at all." she waves off and another text appears.

I raise an eyebrow at her in a questioning way and she puffs out a breath before sitting up.

"It's just my sister."

"What about her?"

"You see my mum and dad are out of the town for a business meeting and Emily just doesn't like to stay at home alone. Specially at night."

"How old is she?" I ask.

"Ten." she answers, reading another text she just received.

"Oh wow you should go then." I say while mentally picturing a small version of Emma. Sitting alone while she waits for someone to come home and make her feel safe.

"What? No. I want to stay here and see if everything's alright with your friend." she says. Her eyes moves over to where the closed doors of the emergency room are and I look at that direction as well.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kent are standing right next to it. Trying their best to be closet to their daughter on the other side. With their hands held together tightly, they quietly speaks to each other in hushed tones.

"And what if the sheriffs needs to ask more questions from me?" Emma asks, looking back at me.

"They already did. I don't think they'll ask anything else for now."

"Okay." Emma nods, giving in. She stands to her feet before putting her phone back in her pocket.

"Text me if anything happens?"

"Sure."

And with that she walks off while I resume back to my tapping rhythm and try my best to not to look at the time again.

......

I quickly jump to my feet when I see the door open and a doctor walks out.

A frown is appeared on his wrinkled face and his grey brows are knotted together in what seems like confusement.