Chapter Nineteen - In which I challenge the twins to a Beat(er) off

Quidditch might be one wizarding things I never got the hang of. I mean I get the concept, you win when you catch the snitch unless the opponent's chasers are amazing. Beaters are the ones covered in protective gear with bats, chasers are the ones who move around the most, keepers at the post, seekers just waits for their moment to shine.

So really it makes perfect sense when George groans at Ron's failed attempts to save the Quaffle for me to suggest that it's fine cause Ginny can just catch the snitch early. Both twins had looked at me as if I had grown another head or something, but really I think it's a logical solution. Ron's obviously distressed with the pressure so we should all let him know that someone else has the spotlight. That should ease his nerves. Of course when I said this Fred told me to go back to studying Charms like I was doing and leave the team practice analysis to them. Even George gave me look to suggest that I should probably stop talking since I'm making a fool of myself.

That's how we ended up where we are now.

Fred hands me a bat and clench it tightly in my hand.

"You sure you want to do this Argent? You know we are the best at this," Fred says. "And I for sure won't be lenient to you," he continues.

"Neither will I," George says darkly taking another bat in his hand. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for me to retort just about anyone could do their job. I mean the other guys that are in the team are doing pretty well considering both twins have always taken the spot. My eyes narrow as I lift the bat higher, no- I'm glad we're doing this. If anything it takes their mind off the practice from earlier.

I rarely see George upset and the annoyance and frustration on his face when he watched the match, it was like him losing his broom all over again. I wanted to make him feel better and distract him from it all.

"Erm what do you think you're doing?" Fred asks causing me to frown.

"We're testing out my beating skills right?"

"We have to get in the air first," George says rolling his eyes at me. Oh. Shoot. I did not think this through. Not that I'm scared of flying, I'm just not that good at it. And since I'm not good at it I have every chance of falling to my death.

"You won't get into trouble right?" I ask, glancing behind us.

"Lily Argent, how dare you insult us!" Fred bellows as he takes a broom from the side. There's always extra brooms left out during Quidditch practice, just in case. See my fear- I mean concern about flying is very legitimate.

"Are you backing out?" George asks with a smirk.

"No, I'm just making sure you guys won't wimp out on me," I mutter with a scowl.

George hands me a broom and there's a flicker of worry in his eyes but then it vanishes as if he's convinced himself he's being crazy. I think I'm crazy. Why do I always put myself in these positions?

I get on the broom and kick off. Keeping both hands on the broom is hard when you've got a bat to worry about as well. I put the bat under my arm as I focus on steadying myself. This is impossible. It reminds me of when I was a first year and everyone would finally manage to control themselves on a broom and then there was me. The girl who not only managed to fall off her broom, but somehow lost it as well.

I made a deal with Severus; I would learn how to ride a broom and he wouldn't force me to do anymore lessons. It was just the motivation I needed and I learnt by the end of the week. Strange what a 11 year old girl would do if she thinks she's getting her way.

The broom steadies under me and I tentatively take one hand off the broom. I look up my eyes glistening.

"I DID IT!" I yell out but weirdly George looks horrified at me. I turn my head as see a bludger heading towards me. I duck as it whooshes past me. That was close.