Chap. 47

"So you have to break it down," Kara explained to me. "You can take a personal experience, a historical experience, and one from Literature. All three of those would be the ideal essay, but two out of the three is still a strong one."

"But how do you get all of that from a quote?" I questioned, pressing my fingers into my temples.

"Okay, take this quote by Bertrand Russell," she suggested. "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine."

I slowly nodded.

"So the first thing you want to do is break down the quote, understand what it means."

"Know that your opinions aren't absolute," I stated.

"Okay, so then think of a time in your life maybe when you believed your opinion to be absolute," she suggested. "And then write about how you learned from that. And that can be your personal experience."

"Okay," I agreed.

"Then think of a time in history when someone believed their personal opinion to be absolutely. Cough, Hitler, cough. And write about how we learn about that in society."

I nodded, slowly getting the hang of what she was talking about.

"And even in Literature," she said, with a shrug. "There are plenty of instances when people believed their opinions to be absolute. You can take it from The Glass Castle or A Streetcar Named Desire, both novels we've read so far this year."

"Right," I agreed, with a sheepish smile.

She rolled her eyes. "Or at least a piece of well-renowned literature you've read."

"I can think of something I'm sure."

"Two is still a strong essay," she reminded me. "And I know you can think of something related to history. And then pull from your personal experiences, and bam you have a B-worthy essay."

"I think I'm getting the hang of this."

"How'd you do on the practice essay?" she asked me.

"Well that's why I came to you for help."

She rolled her eyes. "You'll pass, even if it's the last thing I ever do Lee Adams." She checked the time. "But I have to get my History review. So do you want to meet up again this weekend?"

"I think I'll be okay."

"We're meeting up again this weekend," she informed me, before gathering up her stuff, giving me a pointed look before leaving the Student Lounge.

I leaned back in my seat, pressing my fingers to my forehead.

I couldn't think about the upcoming week or I started to get a lowkey panic attack.

Too many tests all at once.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I checked to see that it was Parker, reminding me that we he'd called off therapy tomorrow due to my upcoming Midterms, but we'd restart next week.

And also reminding me to drink my mid-morning protein shake.

My nose wrinkled at the idea of it, but I texted him back, confirming that I'd read his text.

After my doctor's appointment, Parker had basically had a mini-meltdown. And he'd even pulled Warren into it.

Which mildly pissed me off.

But now Warren was on my ass about eating three meals a day, which was already more than enough for me. But I also had these protein shakes that I was supposed to drink in the mid-morning and afternoon.