Chapter 10: The Cracks Appear

Wednesday September 16th

While on her way to school, (Y/n) took out her phone and re-read the message she received from the twins.

"Sorry, it looks like we won't go to school for a while. We are beyond sick (~_~)"

"Alright, you guys rest and have a quick recovery."

She felt a bit disappointed at how her friends won't be joining her to school for a few days, and was sure she would feel lonely with ought the two. Exhaling heavily, she wondered how her week would go, 'this should be a long few days.'

Time Skip

'I hope I can finally get to have a proper conversation with her....' Bako walked towards his class in a rushed manner, nearly bumping into a few bystanders on the way.

He finally reached the class room, resplendent with excitement and confidence. When he entered, the male immediately landed his eyes on the lonesome girl who was reading her book. Seeming bored, accompanied by the fact that she was alone gave the blue haired boy more motivation to interact with her. However as he was about to set foot in her direction, he was interrupted by a certain female.

"Hello, Bako~" Maki had once again interfered at his attempts to get close with the (h/c) haired girl. This time, Bako could barely contain his distain towards the female's actions and was giving his hardest try to shoo the girl away. "Wait, it's my responsibility to look after you for the week after all, so-"

"Do I look like a toddler to you?" He did not raise his volume, only said it in a passive-aggressive way. "I can take care of myself, I don't need you anymore. Thank you for your help but I would prefer it if you leave me alone." He told her steadily, but his voice held a vail of irritation and a threatening undertone. The female was taken by surprise and prognosticated that she should back off and comply with his wishes.

The boy left the stunned girl to contemplate, and finally sat down next to the female he truly wanted to give his attention to. "Hey (Y/n), where are your friends?" His tone had changed drastically into one of tenderness and compassion.

(Y/n) jumped at his sudden appearance but calmed herself when she saw it was her science partner and class mate. "They're at home, sick. Which is a complete bummer for me." The girl slumped her body against her desk and closed her eyes, trying to rest before lessons start.

The boy watched her peaceful form, captivated by her calm demeanour. He slowly brought his hand towards her head and gently brushed her hair, memorising the texture of every strand. "What are you doing?" The boy broke out of his trance and realised what he was doing. He hastily retracted his hand back and ran the whole scenario through his head.

"There was a fly, sorry." (Y/n) checked her hair for any more bugs and after satisfying her curiosity she returned to her exhausted state.

"Thanks.....gosh I'm tired!" She breathed out. "Hey, we have science next. Wanna be my partner for any practical work?"

"Yes!" Bako more than eagerly said in a rushed demeanour. He collected himself and inwardly cheered. 'What's wrong with me? Why is she getting into my head?' The boy heard the bell ringing which signalled home to go back to his own seat.

During science, the azure male held a proper conversation with his partner, listening intently to her voice and words, absorbing as much information about her as possible. Intrigued by every move she made, and every habit she displayed somehow engraved itself in his long term memory. "Sorry if I become annoying at some point. I have a tendency to ramble on."

"Not at all. I enjoy listening to you." It was a simple enough comment, but (Y/n) was given a chilling sense of discomfort in the way he spoke out. Then again, she was having these perceptions for a while now so it didn't cause her as much alarm. "Can I listen to you more at lunch?" He innocently requests. (Y/n) felt a jab at her heart, her brain telling her to be reluctant. In contradiction, the (h/c) haired girl pushed the instinctual warnings aside she agreed to his offer. "I'm so glad."