Chp. 11 - The Hunters

Everything had been turned upside down, what I wanted was to go for a simple run through the forest and not have put up with tangled web that is my life. But no, I didn't get that did I, instead I got four hulking guys on quad bikes, chasing me with crossbows, I was fast but they were catching up, I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep it up.

Focusing on my speed even though I have no idea how fast I am going, but i'm pretty sure it's the fastest i've ever gone before. My legs were aching and threatening to burst into flames, I could imagine my lungs bright red as they tried to evenly pull air in and push it out. I stared ahead, I just needed to drive them away from the pack house, cross the border line and the other state pack will deal with them. Feeling the arrow go through my leg, I face plant into the sticks and leaves, breaking a few bones on the way. Rolling down the embankment, before plunging into the nice cool water.

**********

Rolling onto my side, I feel wet, looking around I groan at the pain in my leg, looking down I see the arrow that the hunter lodged into my calf. Spinning my head around I stretch my hearing to see if the hunters are still in the area, my nose and my ears tell me they're long gone. 
How long have I been out? 

About four hours.  she answered.

"Four hours?" I yelled in shock. Reaching down I snap the head of the arrow off, preparing myself for pain, I quickly pull the end of the arrow back out of my leg, clenching my teeth in pain. I knew it would take a while to heal, seeing as my leg healed around it. 

"Where are we?" 

We're close to the pack house. Looking around I don't see any significant landmarks, no smells that told me where I was, then I realised, the water. The water blocks out scents and since I was covered in it and lying on the bank of a river I was a bit out of luck. 

With my clothes all wet I was freezing,even with the added heat of being a werewolf being in water for long periods of time can drop our heart rate severely. I could feel myself begin to shiver and that was not a good sign. 

Getting up I start to walk, needing to get my heart rate back up even though my leg had a massive hole in it. Until I get my heart rate up the wound will heal slowly and painfully, breaking into a light jog I knew that transforming into my wolf was all but impossible now.

Struggling with every step I take the fear starts to set in, my hearing was out so the hunters could be anywhere, I have to warn the others, we haven't had hunters in this area for two hundred years. Making more noise than I should have been I have never felt more vulnerable in my entire life, never have my wolf senses failed me and never have hunters ever been a threat in this state.

The shivering refused to stop no matter how hard I pushed, so I just gave up, stopping I hug myself hoping to trap some warmth until I assumed the fetal position, I could feel my wolf slipping away, her voice was faint, I had no idea what was happening but I was afraid, for the first time in my life, fear ruled me and it stopped me from doing anything.

*******

"Lily!" I open my eyes, how long I have been lying in the forest I don't know but I was still freezing and she was gone, no noise or movement came from inside of me.

"Lily!" my name was called again, shivering I managed to sit up and place my back against the trunk of an oak tree,

"He-Herrre" I managed to semi-shout into the distance, my leg was worse, I might have been poisoned and with the low heart rate of my body it is unable to fight it. Kyle comes running into view and I was never happier to see him in my life.

"Shit" he cursed when he saw the state I was in, I must look so vulnerable in his eyes, a way I never like looking. "Alpha Knight has had wolves out looking for you for hours" he touched my skin and my head,