VIII. Mega Man

The two of them stared at me until I started walking, as if I knew where to go. Silently, I turned on my heel and went the same way Shadow and I had been going. I had no idea if we were going the right way.

For a while, we talked about what was going on in the city, the virus, how it worked, and so on. Rouge seemed more interested than Shadow, who seemed like some sort of dark and brooding type. Then, none of us said anything. The only thing we could hear was the crunching of leaves under our feet. The sun was beginning to go down, but there were still a few hours before it would be completely dark. But there was one thing that was still bothering me.

"How did you two get here?" I finally asked.

Neither Shadow or Rouge said anything for a moment, as if they were hesitating. "We were... fighting." Shadow finally answered.

"Who were you fighting? Dr. Eggman?"

"Dr. Eggman had not been seen in days," Shadow replied. I stopped and glanced at him, a bit stunned. Why hadn't Sonic said anything about this Dr. Eggman? Maybe something could have been done to stop the ambush...

"We had been fighting with Sonic," Rouge said simply, as if it was something that happened often. "Tails and a few freedom fighters were there when there was a big burst of energy."

"A big burst of energy?" I asked, looking around to see if my sensors picked up anything. "That sounds a bit like getting teleported."

Shadow shook his head. "It was Chaos Control, and I'm certain now that I know Dr. Eggman has all of the Chaos Emeralds. You say there is a doctor here on your planet that he has teamed up with?"

"Dr. Wily," I said darkly. "He's... evil. He... he took my sister... my brother... and he has no reason other than his ambitions."

I felt something pass by me, and I turned to see the bat flying next to me. She came to a stop, walking beside me. "Listen, kid," Rouge started, "war is tough. I've seen people die before my eyes, and I've seen others become corrupt and join the other side. War isn't fair, but joining it is brave. I assume you were made to be a kid, and your creator didn't want you to join. But you did. And I don't think it was because you longed for destruction. You'll get through it, and we'll get your family back."

I stopped in my tracks. From what I had seen from these people, they didn't seem like they were capable of sympathy. But she looked tough, like a punk rock star. Tougher than me. "Are you sure...?" I asked before I could stop myself.

"Positive," she smiled. I nodded and started moving again, my head held a little higher.

Another hour passed, this one completely wordless. I was used to traveling through Wily's castle for hours at a time with no company but myself, but it was slightly awkward traveling with these two. They didn't seem to mind the silence. Shadow definitely seemed like he preferred the world silent. I almost laughed as I thought about Sonic joking with Shadow.

The sun was almost down, but since the other two didn't seem tired, I didn't suggest camping out yet. I still felt refreshed, and though I should have brought along some E-tanks, I figured I could go on this way for a while.

I wondered what Dr. Light was doing at the moment. Maybe he was staring at a picture of Roll and me, all of his faith pushed into me that I could bring my sister back. Or maybe he was checking up on poor Sonic, who probably wouldn't wake up until at least tomorrow. Perhaps he was trying to pinpoint the location of Dr. Wily and Dr. Eggman. Maybe there would be some clue from Sonic that he could get; maybe a piece of debris. Or maybe Dad could get something off of the Chaos Emerald. He would probably leave it in Sonic's hand, though. It was most likely safest there.