*Prologue

The snow piled up that night, filling the forest with mounds of bright white that glowed in the dull light of the moon. Feet dug into the snow, marring the beauty, as they chased after something flying high in the sky above. Shouts rang out calling from one man to another.  The order was to aim their crossbows and guns filled with silver at the flying monstrosity before it got away. They fired and connected with their target which released a hellish cry, the likes of which the men had never heard before, as it attempted to stay in the air. Another command was given to fire but the creature disappeared in a puff of black smoke before they could reload their weapons.

            It reappeared in a different wood a safe distance from it's pursuers, attempting to hover in the air but failed. It broke through branches as it fell through the canopy and landed on the forest floor with a loud thud. It lay gasping for air as its blood dyed the snow crimson beneath it. Thoughts of running ran through its head, eyes darting to the small home. It that could spell its undoing should someone venture out in the cold. Alas the monster was too weak, in too much pain, to try and move from its resting place upon the cold ground as the snow continued to pile up around it. Its black eyes began to drift shut, sleep tempting the creature into its welcoming arms. A door opening chased away sleep's advances, causing the monster's eyes to snap open and force it onto its shaky, black, clawed feet to snarl at the intruder.

            She stared at it with wide brown eyes which peaked out from under her long black tresses. The monster could tell she was afraid by the way her hands were clasping her long sweater closed and how her knees knocked together under her long white nightgown. No words were uttered, no screams released, just eyes scanning the otherworldly being as it tried to keep itself standing and snarling. Slowly the fear turned into curiosity and then finally to pity. The creature wanted to snort at the thought of a human pitying it, a wretched being of the night who sold its soul years ago. The snarls erupting from the monster's throat grew louder as the girl took a step closer, pausing for a moment when they reached her eyes, warning her to back away. Her chest rose with a deep breath before continuing towards it. Still it snarled, snapped at her with large, needle sharp, teeth but it did not faze her. It wasn't long before she was in front of it, within reach of the being's long, black, claws. Slowly she removed a hand from the front of her sweater and gently placed it upon the monstrous creature's cheek, making the growls cease at the rush of warm that was sent through its entire being.

            "I-I want to help so don't hurt me," she commanded shakily. She removed the hand, to the creature's disappointment, and inspected its chest that continued to bleed and pool at their feet.

            The monster expected her to jump back in disgust at standing in a puddle of blood but she merely took another deep breath and closed her eyes. She came closer, resting her black haired head upon its shoulder and placed a hand to its still bleeding chest. The monster wondered what she was doing, what she was thinking coming so close to him in such an intimate position but said nothing. Not even so much as snarled as he waited to see what the mortal was going to do. It was dull a first, so dull it wondered if its sight was being affected by the pain, but grew by the minute the longer they stood there. The girl was glowing and slowly that light was seeping into him, becoming part of him. It was a warmth it never felt before. It couldn't even remember the sun feeling as warm and pleasant as the light that radiated from the girl within its reach. As the warm glow filled him he noticed the pain began to dull until finally it was no more. It looked down with black eyes and saw the wooden stakes and silver bullets that were the cause of its  agony lying at their feet, having seeped out of its black flesh. The moment it noticed them it could feel the warm light receding, pulling back from it and back into the girl where it belonged. The creature wanted to grab hold of that light and keep it within him but could only watch as it dimmed away from his sight once again.

            She opened her eyes slowly and removed her head from its shoulder to inspect the previously injured chest before her. A small smile lightened her face when she saw unmarred back flesh before her and tried retreating back to the safety of her home. The creature snarled, a wave of possessiveness surging through it. A black arm wrapped around her waist, dark claws scrapping at her clothes, while its brother wrapped around her shoulders. They worked together and slowly pulled her closer into the creature's chest where she had been positioned before, her eyes wide with fear. The black, leathery, wings jutting from the creature's back draped around them, concealing her from the spying eyes of anything that may have been nearby sending her heart into a panic. Her breath hitched when she felt the creature's bat like nose burry itself where neck joined shoulder and inhaled. Thoughts of death ran through her head as the creature nuzzled her flesh, it's pointed large ears listening to her heart as it beat frantically out of control.

            The monster expected its his sharp teeth to embedded into her neck and drain her dry, an action performed numerous times without the slightest bit of hesitation. Strangely it didn't feel compelled to do so despite the maddening hungry tearing through it. No there was no thirst for the woman, no need to suck every last bit of life from her slender frame. What the monster truly wanted was to continue holding her, to feel the warmth that radiated from her very being. To bind her to its side for all eternity. The thought was thrilling.

            "Name..." it croaked, words limited in its current state.

            "Y-You want to know my n-name?" she stuttered. It hated hearing the fear in her voice, wanted to banish it from her as it nodded against her neck. "E-Evangeline Agate."

            "Evangeline..." he repeated, his cold breath tickling her neck as she nodded in confirmation. The ghastly arms around her tightened. "Mine."

            "Eva?"

            She turned to look at the front door of her home where her Grandmother had cocked it open, attempting to see into the darkened trees in search of her.

            "Gran," she whispered fearful of what the creature would do at being interrupted. She felt the arms and icy breath upon her neck disappear. She turned around, staring into the darkened trees in search of the monster but saw hide nor hair of it.

            "Eva are you out there?" Her Grandmother called once more turning her attention from the winged demon which previously held her full attention.

            "C-coming Gran!"