Chapter 8

The commotion of the engagement was spreading throughout the whole Kingdom. It was the first important event after more than ten years of sorrows and worries. And, even though the late autumn had taken over the country, the people didn't intend to let some bad weather spoil their fun. The streets were being decorated with royal insignia. Flags with the Princess's and Prince's faces were scattered on every floor and balcony. There was a great hustle-and-bustle filling the streets. The people were smiling again, greeting each other and stopping for a chat.

Things weren't much different back at the Dark Castle. After a frantic all-around cleaning spree, flowers and trees from faraway lands, planted in huge vases, embellished the castle. The gates were constantly opening to make room for the carriages and wagons bringing the finest drinks and supplies that were to become fine dining meals. The henchmen were keeping themselves busy day and night like ants, but nobody was complaining of being tired. The most alluring flavours were coming from the kitchen and the sturdy cooks were flustering cheerfully around the boiling pots—stirring, baking, battering, spilling, frying and seasoning.

Eliza was mesmerised by the churning that had taken over the Kingdom. And she didn't take a back seat either. She was up to date with all the preparations. The ladies of her entourage made sure she looked amazing each time, even when she was bugging in the kitchen to see if the dough has risen. And this was because every other, day guests were arriving at the castle. Kings, queens, emperors, sultans, rajahs, counts and countesses, dukes and duchesses from the farthest corners of the earth were steadily making their entrances. And Eliza, along with the Prince, was greeting them. She had never seen so many people in the same place. Some had dark skin, like chocolate. Others looked at her through narrow eyes. Some kept their hair slide down in golden locks. And others smiled at her, stretching out their snow-white hands...

The Prince himself was involved in organising the engagement and made sure the guests were welcomed properly. His leg was now healed and he could get back on his horse. A couple of times, Eliza saw him giving out advice, orders and even smiles. His lieges were looking at him with wonder, happy to see such a change in him. Suddenly, the Dark Prince wasn't so... dark. Sometimes, he even smiled at Eliza when they crossed paths. And the ones observing them gave each other meaningful looks.

One day, when Eliza was getting ready for her morning kitchen visit, Nanny Ana entered her room with rosy cheeks and ever so anxious.

'Your parents are here,' she said, gasping. 'I mean Princess Mara's parents.'

Eliza's heart skipped a beat. 'What's there to do? Why didn't you tell me sooner? You had time to prepare me for this, to tell me some things about them at least—'

'What good would that do?' said the nanny throwing herself in a stall. 'They will figure out you're not the real princess, anyway. Oh, my,' she began to whimper, 'they'll probably cut off my head when they'll find out I was an accomplice to this whole charade.'

'You don't have to worry. I'll take all the blame. It's going to be alright, you'll see,' Eliza said, trying to force out a smile. She had never seen the nanny so restless. She was the only one giving her advice and strength. She was the support she couldn't lose.

Summoning up her courage, Eliza stepped out of her room and made it for the guests welcoming hall. Her pace was getting giddy as she came closer. Had she had a choice, she would have run without looking back. She tried walking as gracefully as she could; but her feet didn't seem to listen and Eliza tripped over her dress a few times, almost twisting her ankle.