Chapter 36

Elizabeth was startled. Her old friends; her roommates, Hazel and Eloise, had her pushed up against a wall with Hazel's wand against her throat.

"You're disgraceful," Eloise spat. Her words stang Elizabeth's heart like they were a swarm of bees.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Elizabeth refused. In an instant, she attempted to grab her wand from her pocket but Hazel stood back, allowing Eloise to take her position.

Eloise forced her wand against Elizabeth's throat just like Hazel had. Elizabeth's saddened brown eyes trailed up to Hazel's hand which was holding, of course, the victim's wand.

"This is bullying!" Elizabeth insisted, attempting to push Eloise away from her. Hazel shot a spell at her and Elizabeth's head flung back.

Hitting the wall, she felt a trail of warm, sticky blood roll down her neck. It stained her uniform as if it were ink.

"Is it?" Eloise taunted, her mouth moving closer to Elizabeth's ear to annoy her even more, "It's a shame we'll Obliviate you before you can tell anyone."

"What the hell have I done to you?" Elizabeth spat. She wasn't going to pity herself.

She was a powerful witch. She knew that; she held spells and authority that Eloise and Hazel could only dream of.

"You're holding his child, aren't you?" Hazel cooed with false sympathy, "How sad. Poor Elizabeth got knocked up before she could even finish school."

"Shut up!" Elizabeth hissed, finally being able to focus for a few seconds. Using the disarming spell, she snatched Eloise's wand just as it flew out of the girl's hands. Pointing it at them, she growled.

"You know damn well I could kill you both right now," she stated with a fiery voice, "Either you give me my wand and don't dare speak a word of this to anyone else, or that's the route I'll take."

Hazel threw Elizabeth's wand back. It fell at her feet. However, Eloise was taking another approach.

As Elizabeth leaned down to lift her wand from the ground, prepared to nurse it as if it were a baby, Eloise's foot came in contact with her ex-friend's side. In pain, Elizabeth fell to the ground.

The twins disappeared. They were completely gone from sight. Clutching her side and part of her stomach, Elizabeth began to panic. Shakily standing, she headed to see the school nurse.

She couldn't help the tears that found themselves streaming down her cheeks.

What if she was the reason a child was dead? Her child? Tom's child?