Chapter 40 - Taming the Beast

Kastali Dun

Reyr had never before been so displeased with King Talon in all his life. Leading up to the trial, he held firm to the belief that his king would come to his senses. Unfortunately, Talon's propensity for reason evaporated the moment Claire presented herself. In its place he found an erratic and unpredictable ruler—one who resorted to gruesome threats.

Claire had every right to say what she did. Although, erupting before an entire kingdom was not the best practice in decorum. When was she ever proper? His mind drifted back through their time together. Since the beginning, she displayed true grit in all things. He admired that about her.

"Smiling, are we?" Jovari's question pulled him back to the present. "Come now, do share. The rest of us could use a lift in our moods."

He shrugged, casually playing it off. Too often he thought of Claire when he should not have.

"See here brothers, Reyr wishes for us to remain sullen." Jovari was never one to give up. Bedelth and Koldis were also present. Verath smartly abandoned Reyr's chambers after their fifth bottle of wine. Drinking was a most effective way to drown worry, and they indulged excessively since the trial's end.

"Remain sullen?" He arched an eyebrow at Jovari, falling for his bait. "I wish nothing of the sort. I am not so heartless."

"If that is true, then share your happiness with us. A private joke perhaps?"

"Hardly. I was merely thinking of the trial—of Claire and what she said to the king."

"Ah-ha!" Jovari lifted an accusing finger. "I knew it."

"Quite the ball of fire, that one." Bedelth was new to Claire's disposition and had spent no time with her.

"Ball of fire is an understatement," Koldis huffed, crossing his arms. A sly smile played upon his lips. "If only you knew what she put us through these past few weeks."

"Believe me, after this morning, my understanding has improved. If anyone can stand up to our king, it is she."

"He deserved it," Jovari said. It was what they were all thinking. "He should have listened to us last night. No wonder his feathers are ruffled—his scales, I mean."

"Regretting his actions by now, I should hope," Koldis said.

"It is unlike him to behave so irrationally." Bedelth shifted, looking at Reyr for answers. "How long will he remain barricaded within his tow—"

The door burst open, slamming against the wall. They fell silent. Verath entered, frowning as he glanced between them.

"Ahhh! The high and mighty has returned!" Jovari threw his arms wide, sloshing wine. He failed to see Verath's distress. Too drunk already. "Not too good for us after all, eh, Verath?"

"The king still refuses to see me," Verath said, sitting down to pour more wine into the glass he previously abandoned.

"Of course he does." Jovari slurred his words. "I would be out of sorts too after that feline's scratches."

"That is not what worries me." Verath gave Jovari a stern glare, not amused by his intoxication. Most Drengr took to drink quite well, the young ones less so than the rest, but Jovari was pouring at a much faster rate than the others. It showed.

"What worries you?" Reyr asked, sitting forward in his seat. Verath was generally reserved. His change in demeanor was unsettling.

"The guards at King Talon's tower have left me uneasy. I do not wish to rekindle our fears from earlier, but perhaps we must do something."