18

Jacques

"Guys I'm worried about Neriah and I am sure you all are too." We all stood around the locker room getting ready for practice. I slightly nodded my head and finished putting my shoes on. "So I decided we delay practice for an hour and take a field trip." I looked up and saw coach holding up a set of keys.

-------

Coach parked the bus in a row of parking spaces.

"Ain't this shit illegal?" Coach shrugged.

"I don't know. We'll find out if there's a parking ticket on the windsheild later." He took out a piece of folded up notebook paper he wrote on before we left and read from it. "I think this is her apartment building. C'mon guys." He opened the bus doors and we all stood up to get off.

Coach lead the way to the inside of the building where people were already pointing and taking pictures.

The guy at the front desk jumped up in shock.

"How may I help you?"

"We're here to see our friend Neriah Calvin. Do you know if she's here or not?" The man at the front desk looked at all of us in shock.

"I wouldn't know. This is my first day on the job. But I can call up to her room." He rushed to the bulky black phone and held it to his ear. He went to his computer and typed on it. He went back to the dialer and punched the numbers in. We waited for a second and I could hear the faint ringing go on and on from the phone.

"It sent me to voicemail. Since your obviously the damn Cav's I'm gonna allow you to go up and see her. Wow I can't believe you all are standing in front of me." He dragged a hand down his face and shook his head.

"When we come back down. We'll hook you up with some autographs." Tony said.

The niggas eyes rolled back in his head and he slumpt back in his chair.

I raised my eyebrows. "Is he okay?"

LeBron fanned me off. "He just fainted. It happens all the time." I looked to make sure he was okay before following behind everyone.

"Cmon guys let's take the stairs." I groaned. "You didn't think I'd pass up on a little physical activity did you?" He opened the door to the emergency stairs and he began running up them.

---------

We made it to the eigth floor breathlessly.

I leaned up against a near by wall and tried to get my lungs from burning.

"That wasn't that bad. Her rooms the last one on the end." They followed behind him but I lagged behind trying to catch my damn breath.

Coach knocked on the door and waited for a second. He knocked again.

"Neriah it's me. Coach. I brought the guys with me. We were worried about you and came to see how you were doing." We all stood quietly waiting for a response.

Coach looked down on the floor and squinted.

"What the hell? Doesn't that look like blood?" I looked over Anderson's shoulder to get a better look but couldn't see.

I heard the door open and we all looked at each other. I moved around to see what was going on and Coach had opened the door to the apartment. I stood behind him and saw nothing but darkness.

He stepped inside calling Neriah's name.

It was quite at first till he shouted.

"Guys come look at this!" I walked in first and couldn't really see. I looked over to see coach looking at the ground using the flashlight from his phone.

I walked over to him and looked at what he was holding his light over.

"Is that blood?" I scrambled through my sweatpants pockets trying to find my phone. I grabbed is quickly and scrolled up and clicked on the light.  I moved it around trying to find a light switch.

I saw it by the door where the guys were huddled by looking at us.

I ran for it and flipped it on.

Blood trailed from the kitchen to the door.

A chair sat in the middle of the kitchen with blood all over it.

What the help happened in there?

I put my phone in my pocket and ran around the  apartment and didn't see her.
I grabbed my phone and dialed 911.

It rang and rang till I heard the line pick up.

"911 what's your emergency?"

-------------------------