Part 9

Bailey

How quickly could I finish my half of the book? How quickly could I convince him he needed to come make the story complete? I don't think I've ever been as obsessed with starting a story. It was going to be the key to getting him back by my side. "You won't be disappointed."

His amazing lips curled up again. We were headed to the gates where our flights would board and I wanted to make time stop. Time was a totally dick. It would slow down when you were stuck in a boring class or had to wait for something important to happen, but then it would speed by at a lightning pace when you wanted to make something last just a bit longer. Right now, it felt as if it was skipping some minutes entirely and hurling us to the moment we had to separate.

We stopped just at the edge of the seating area packed with irritated people ready to finally board their flights. "There are things in my life I have no control of. I've accepted that, but it might be hard to understand if you aren't in the military. Sometimes I can't leave base, we don't shut down for holidays, and I'll get my ass kicked if I try to answer my cell phone when I'm working. I promise I'll write you when I can, and you might have to wait a while before I can come find you—but don't give up on me."

I nodded my head, "I get it."

"You think you do, but it's harder than it seems. I see my friends lose girlfriends so fast it makes my head spin. They get tired. It takes so much work to get ahold of them or they can't come home for a birthday or Christmas. They have an advantage that we don't have. They had a chance to fall in love and get attached before they had to separate. We just have the idea of what could be. We'll have to make that enough."

"I just wish we could've ticked a few more things off that fast track list before I have to go." I bit my lip and felt my face heat again. I was looking into his eyes when I felt his hand take mine. We both laughed a little, the nervous energy between us kicked up a notch at this new connection.

"I've been struggling with this big question," he admitted. "How many of the steps am I willing to skip? I want to hold your hand, put my arm around you," his voice dropped and then stopped all together when the announcer called out my flight. His hand squeezed mine and I suddenly felt my eyes sting with tears. The little voice in my head was shouting no. When my gaze dropped down to the ground because looking at him hurt my heart, he released my hand and set down my backpack and the brown bag from the gift shop. It was happening too fast! I didn't want to go!

"Bailey," he said as he grabbed my hand again. He lifted my chin with his finger gently beneath it. "It's not the end." I nodded my head, my lip still painfully caught between my teeth. I didn't want to cry over something so silly. I didn't really know him, but I felt like I was losing something already.

"I know," I said, lifting my eyes to his. He smiled again, but it wasn't bright like before. It was sad and resigned. The loud voice came on again as the room seemed to clear out a little.

"Last call for flight 486 to Miami." I shut my eyes tight for a second. I just needed a minute to get it together. I could do this. I could get on that plane and leave him. I just couldn't get my feet to move, or my hand to let his go.

"I'd do this different if I had more time," he said. Before I had a chance to open my eyes again, his lips brushed against mine. My heart raced up to my throat and my breath froze in my lungs. It was magnificent. It was warm and tender, gentle but insistent. It was everything. His hand let go of mine and then both his palms were against my cheeks as he held my face to his, guiding us together as he kissed me. I was completely melting. His hands moved a little further, slipping into my hair and he opened his mouth against mine. I didn't even hesitate to let the kiss go farther. I never wanted to stop.

He pulled away from me slowly and I leaned forward, desperate to not let the kiss end. His lips pressed to my forehead and I opened my eyes. "You have to go," he told me. I nodded my head and reached down for my bag. A few eyes were on us now after that open display, but I didn't care. He bit his lip this time and raised his brows. "If that was a goodbye kiss, I can't wait to kiss you hello."

I laughed as I took a few steps backwards towards the gate. "Goodbye, hello, goodnight—be ready. I think I'm going to want to kiss you for everything."

He put his hand over his heart and I giggled again. "Looking forward to them all—especially good morning," he teased. I gave him one last small wave and then turned and walked away. I imagined every step I was taking was a word in the last sentence of the first chapter of our story. 

****Please remember to vote and share if you are enjoying the story. Tell me your thoughts on twitter #DearBailey