Different Sense

(A/N: I have to admit, I think this is one of my fav covers I’ve ever made. Also, if there's mistakes, I apologise. Enjoy, I hope?)

----

Eryn Vorn was a large and spacious forest. Tall trees lined the outskirts, and the trees just got thicker the more one travelled on in them.

Dark emerald grass which measured to mid shin on a mortal spread across a vast clearing. From this clearing the single dirt road could be seen. This road was often used by travellers and tradesmen alike, but at the moment a single rider had diverted from the path.

Gandalf was set on a task which he had to complete. He may have diverted off the track many a time searching for the right stretch of woodland. But he was sure, so sure, that this was the correct bit.

Eryn Vorn which is located in the western part of Minhiriath, was originally part of a vast tree scape which covered the majority of north-western Middle-Earth. During the Second Age the forests were tore down by the greediness of the Numenoreans who wished to use the trees for shipbuilding. By the Third Age, most of the natives of Minhiriath had moved to Bree or found other establishments. But some did retreat into Eryn Vorn, into the thick woodlands secluded from the outside world.

It was these hidden natives which may have caused some trouble, if Gandalf were to come across any. As far as he knew, they weren't hostile, they kept to themselves. But that didn't mean they couldn't be hostile if cause needed.

Specifically it was one of these hidden natives which Gandalf was searching for. It didn't help the matter that he was searching for a single person, but luck would have it that that single person was easier to find than what he had first thought.

Dismounting and strolling forwards, Gandalf's eyes glanced down at a single figure. If anyone had passed it they'd have thought it was a statue. Maybe a statue which one would pray to for safe passage through the forest to the coast? Maybe this statue had some sort of religious factor and people would place offerings in front of her crossed legs.

“No matter how still you sit, I know you are alert.” Gandalf said, there was a short sigh before two amber eyes snapped open. They were a particular colour, similar to a withering fire. The two eyes glanced up at him, slowly a hand reached up and shielded them from the sun.

Gandalf's long shadow stretched across the grass as the cross legged female stared up at him. Slowly the female lowered her arms and stood up, Gandalf looked down.

Nymphs were interesting creatures, a rarity, but none the less interesting. They were usually about the same height as a hobbit, although heights differed in species. Their appearance was very elven but their build was more similar to a mortals.

The majority of nymphs had long since passed on, their sanctuaries had got destroyed by man. Yes, the two may have had few conflicts which aided to their species thinning out.

The female in front of him crossed her arms, from collar bone to tip of her middle finger a dark blue tattoo was etched. This permanent marking could be of any thing, depending on species, and class.

Dark blue usually indicted one from a higher family. The images were of swirls and vines, very few had this etched onto their skin.

“It is a rarity to see you so far from the safety of the trees.” There was a sigh from the woman. “Lothiriel,” her golden eyes looked up. “I have a proposition for you.”

“A proposition?” Lothiriel said lightly with a smile, in the sun light her eyes shone when she looked up at him. “A proposition when a usurper sits on our throne? This is very bad timing.”

“Do you wish to whittle your days away in exile, or would you rather hear what I have to say?”

Lothiriel narrowed her eyes. “I shall continue to whittle my days away in exile, while my uncle whittles his as a false idol.” She said angrily while crossing her arms over her leather waistcoat, it stopped just below her ribs. Kicking her foot up she caught a sheath when it flew up from the floor from the impact. Strapping it on she quickly grabbed a small pack too.

“They are drawing closer.” Gandalf said.

Lothiriel sighed and hung her head. Looking up she smiled lightly. “You have seen the ones who are hunting me? Yes, it seems that no offspring of my fathers shall survive, I am the last. And you are right, before you even say it I know; I cannot run forever. If this proposition gets me away from my uncles grasp, then I shall be of any help possible,” Lothiriel bowed lowly. “Say...I should have listened to the proposition first before freely giving me help, shouldn't I?”

Gandalf gave a smile and a nod, while he was trying to retrieve another possible aid from Eryn Vorn, Thorin Oakenshield had set into motion a plan to reclaim Erebor. Thinking of which, Gandalf gave a small frown. He had made plans with Thorin and his small band of dwarves, leaning down he looked Lothiriel in the eye.

“You will travel to Hobbiton in a days time,” he explained, Lothiriel merely nodded showing she understood. Giving the nymph more directions and times, Gandalf turned and walked quickly back to his stead. And thus set into motion the adventure.

----

“I'm not a burglar. I’ve never stolen anything in my life.” Bilbo Baggins stated rather proudly from over Thorin's shoulder.

Balin looked thoughtful for a moment before giving a slow nod. “I fear Mr Baggins is right.” There was a pause. “He's hardly burglar material.”

It was from this comment that Dwalin fidgeted and commented; “Aye, the world is not place for those soft o' heart and weak o' limb.” From his words Bilbo could clearly be seen in the background nodding eagerly along, he utterly agreed with Dwalin's words it seemed. The agreeing just further implemented Bilbo's resistance to be involved with this adventure. From the moment Gandalf had appeared and mentioned it, Bilbo had set his mind firmly on not taking part in it.

There were a few comments being thrown around the dwarves of Bilbo's inability to burgle anything, Bilbo could accept these comments because he still agreed with them. The more they thought he was lacking in the burglar department, the more likely they were to hurry up and leave his home.

The moment was soon getting very out of hand and Gandalf seemed to be the only one who voiced his opinions on the matter. Dimming the lights gave the usual cosy space a dark and eerie atmosphere, he stood up and his tall figure loomed over the dwarves and hobbit alike.

“I said Bilbo Baggins in a burglar, and if I say he is a burglar, then a burglar he is!” He exclaimed but soon calmed himself while sitting back down. “Hobbits can be rather light on their feet.” Gandalf continued in his usual tone. “I think he has a lot more to offer than any or you know, including himself.” Gandalf smiled a small smile, after his words had sunk in each dwarf gave a slow nod.

“Give him the contract,” Thorin spoke eventually, Balin was the holder of it until it got passed over and Thorin shoved it into Bilbo's chest.

Gandalf let out a interested sound and leant forward in his seat. “Do you by any chance, have another one?” Gandalf asked Thorin as Bilbo paced around reading the old piece of parchment, his fingers slid over words as he muttered under his breath.

Thorin, naturally suspicious about Gandalf's question turned and narrowed his eyes. “Why?”

Gandalf sat up and looked down at the dwarf simply. “Because we are awaiting one more member.” The matter of fact tone left most of the group in confusion.