2. Crossroads {Part Two}

It's that time of evening where the sun is a hazy pool of gold in the horizon

It's that time of evening where the sun is a hazy pool of gold in the horizon. I stand on the ever changing edges of the shore relishing the ocean breeze as I wait for Crossing Ceremony to begin. Down the beach, soft light streams down onto the four Stonehenge-like pillars representing the elements. In the middle of them is the flat, uncut moonstone known as Crossing's Rock. It's on that surface where fates are decided, where lives are either made or ruined.

Parents gather around the elemental pillars, their eyes shaded with hope. Soon their children will stand upon Crossing's Rock and a gateway will open to one of the Convent towers, where they'll learn to use their powers.

When I was younger, I imagined the moment the portal opened for me. No one knows what element they'll be assigned to, but my dream was always the same. The smoky twines of mist and magic would reach out to me from in between the pillars of Earth. Not because the mossy green color of their Convent robes looks great against my toffee skin and copper curls, but there was something beautiful about their connection with nature. A pull I feel in my soul whenever I rummage for herbs or blend them for tonics and potions. Surely being raised by Aunt Sabana had something to do with it, though I always chalked it off to Fate preparing me to serve Earth by granting me one of the best teachers as an aunt.

Obviously I was wrong. It's a bit of a morbid thought, but I guess it's a good thing my parents are dead. They were powerful magicians, a fire elemental and an air. For their daughter to have no powers would have been an insult to them.

Beside me, Aunt Sabana drones on about everything I'm to do while she's gone. I know how to run the store. I've lived with her since I was a baby. I try to pay attention, but my mind drifts to Roane. Not so much him, but the fact that I'd had a vision. It's been years since I've had one, and my limited magic is much weaker now than it was then. Eventually, I'll have no magic at all.

Aunt Sabana strokes a wrinkled hand along my hair and startles me from thought. "I don't feel comfortable leaving you alone, Aramina." She tucks a curly strand behind my ear. "Are you sure you don't want me to stay?"

"And keep these recruits from learning Botany from the best? No, go. I'll be fine, really."

"Then why don't you come to Convent? You'll be safe there. You can help me teach. I don't mind closing up the store for a few months."

I curl into my sweater and shift back like it's somehow possible to physically move away and hide from the conversation. "You know why I can't."

Convent is the headquarters of all Northern magicians. Caleb personally oversees Sanctuary, the non-magics division and his mother's grand work. I'll see him every day.

"Well, the shop is protected," she says with a knowing nod. "You don't want to know the spells I used, so don't ask." She smiles, but it quickly fades to compressed brows. "You still seem worried."