Inner child

Claire's POV

Mother said nothing when we walked into the dining room. She raised her eyebrows at our training appearances, and bit her tongue as soon as her eyes narrowed in on our clasped hands. Yeah, Atticus didn't let go of my hand, feeling no discomfort of my mothers hawk eyes. Although, she seemed giddy at this fact. She liked us holding hands.

I could almost see the money signs reflecting in her eyes. Atticus gave her a nod, and took a seat next to me, letting go of my hand in the process. I'm not going to say that my hand felt cold without his hands, cause let's face it- Atticus feels like a block of ice. If anything, my hands warmed up. Plus, heat still lingered from the elemental training.

My mind was still wandering to my blue fire, and the fact that my father is connected to all of this. It made my heart sink a little, but I will never admit that.
I stared at my plate. Scrambled eggs, toast, and sausages. It wasn't a bad breakfast, I just wasn't feeling my appetite at the moment. I sighed, but listened at Atticus spoke up.

"I don't mean to be a bother-" he paused as my mother reassured him that he was never a bother. Did her face hurt with all of that smiling, I wondered.
"But, do you have any chocolate fudge pop tarts?" He asked calmly. My mother seemed taken aback, as did I. She quickly gave him a beaming smile and called out to one of the butlers to bring a box of pop tarts.

They brought him a box of pop tarts, and he thanked them. I glanced at my mothers plate, to find it empty. I frowned. I didn't think that she would actually go by the 'simply starved fit' challenge. I was starting to feel guilty, but then heard something land on my plate.

                        My eyes flickered to the two fudge poptarts on my plate. I gave Atticus a long stare. He was peacefully eating his food, ignoring my stare. My mothers crystal blue eyes glanced between the both of us, but if she was bothered by me eating poptarts for breakfast, she didn't voice her concerns. The corners of my lips lifted as I focused on the delicious poptarts and swallowed them. As soon as I was done with the poptarts, my appetite seemed to reappear as I suddenly found myself eating my breakfast.

                        Atticus glanced at me, and from the corner of my eye, I saw him smirk in triumph.

I finished my breakfast. I was full, and there was a smile on my face. I missed eating poptarts, they felt like family. Well, family that accepts being digested. Before I excused myself with Atticus, I gave my mother a lingering look.

                    "There are reports online claiming that the 'simply starved fit' challenge doesn't really work." I told her, my face serious. She narrowed her eyes at me, and I tensed. Okay, I really don't feel like getting into any trouble today. Atticus seemed to notice my posture changing, so he held my hand.

                   "It's a shame... I'm almost certain that my friend Valdus was trying that challenge out." He said, eyes not wavering from my mothers. She seemed to snap back into reality, and cleared her throat.

                        "How horrible-" she exclaimed.
          "And to think that they fooled us." She paused for a little. Then she said in a small voice, "then I guess it won't matter if I eat some salad..." She trailed off as I smiled. I shot a grateful look towards Atticus, and we excused ourselves.

                     Walking through the halls, I found myself in a good mood. I wasn't blushing at our close proximity, or the fact that me and Atticus were holding hands like a couple. It seemed almost- normal. He gave me this feeling, like I was coming home to a warm fire, hot chocolate, and some fudge cookies. He felt like home, and that's what kind of confused me.

                        Although, I didn't pull my hand away.

                      It was still morning time, and I was beginning to think that this entire day would be spent in silence. A comfortable silence. But Atticus kind of ruined that idea by letting out a laugh, sounding delighted. I glanced at him, raising my eyebrow. His warm dark brown eyes were staring straight ahead.

                   I looked ahead of us to find nothing there. He squeezed my hand and I looked at him.

                  "I almost forgot about your surprise." He tried to contain his excitement, but it was bubbling up like a child. I stared at this strange sight.
                   Atticus is a pretty large man. Maybe that- or my small body is catching up to me. But still, he seemed to tower over me, and had nice looking muscles covered in tattoos. His looks radiated power and raw danger. But that all seemed to be wiped away when he glanced at me laughing. His pale dimpled cheeks, warm brown eyes framed with black eyelashes, and his childish excitement rising up to the surface.

                            It made me want to smile, and laugh with him.

                        "What surprise?" I questioned him, feeling curiosity spark within me.

                   "You're gonna love it, I promise. I got it straight from Tartarus." He replied, quickening his steps. "Valdus just mind linked me saying that it's here." He said, pulling me along. I furrowed my eyebrows.

                 "Wait-" I stopped my sentence. He looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

                   "Tartarus- like hell? Like the underworld from those Percy Jackson books?" I asked, gaining interest in the subject. I mean, I love Harry Potter, but Percy Jackson is my fictional husband. I'm currently on the heroes of Olympus series, but I got interrupted in my reading when I was kidnapped. I missed my books so much.

                        Atticus scratched his chin.
                 "Tartarus- like the underworld from many Greek tales- yes." He replied. I gave him a look. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that he isn't a Percy Jackson fan.

                      "What's the difference?" I asked him, as we stopped outside of a room. This room leads to our attic. I studied him.

                         "The cruelty." He answered my question, staring at me for a reaction.

                        I stayed silent for a while.

                   "Cool!" I exclaimed, feeling excited for the surprise that was probably behind this door or in the attic. Atticus looked taken aback. He then shrugged.

                    "Must've forgot how awesome you are." His deep voice muttered, but I heard it. I grinned and rolled my eyes as he turned the door knob.

                           Atticus, I didn't forget how awesome you are.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
HELLOOOOOO MY SEXY UNICORNS!!!!!

     Sorry I updated late, I even busy getting out of my reading slump, and I've also been editing chapters for this story. But here you guys go, a late chapter made with love !! ❤️ (ps- any Percy Jackson fans out there ? Let's just say, I'm hoping I'm a Demi God. And if you guys got far into the book series, just know that Nico is mine 🔪🔪 jk but seriously he's awesome lol FANGIRL WITH ME ABOUT PJ!!!!)

           I'll update soon, and I LOVE YOU GUYS AS ALWAYS ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

READ

VOTE

COMMENT!!!!!!!!