[22] Fade

I fade in and out of consciousness as I hear Sarah and my father talking. More like arguing. After what feels like a decade I finally open my eyes. Six S.H.I.E.L.D agents are spread out across the apartment. Two are near the door their eyes straight a head, there's another one near the sliding glass door, while the other two are in the kitchen a couple of feet away from each other. Their guns in hand.

I reach up to touch the right corner of my head. Wincing slightly as I brush my fingers lightly against my head. Dry blood cakes the corner of my head as I pull my hand away. Quickly standing a wave of nausea washes over me. I shake it off my eyes trying to find Sarah and our dad.

I weakly make my way over to familiar voices that are coming from the patio. They haven't moved me yet or taking me back to S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters to place me in custody. Which means I haven't be out for long. Maybe fifteen, twenty minutes max. I look over my shoulder to still see the agents in their original position. They haven't moved a muscle.

I slide the door open hard letting them know I'm awake. My father's cold gaze meets my mine causing him to tense up. Somethings not right. I step towards Sarah sliding into her spot, making her step away from my dad. From the corner of my eye I watch as my dad steps in front of the sliding glass door his back turned to the agents that are now facing our way.

A feeling of uneasiness washes over me as I scan every inch of the area that I can see.

"Hyde," My father's voice pulling me back into reality. "You should be glad that we haven't taken you back yet."

I smirk at his words. Just trying to beat him at his own game. Something I'm good at.

"I am," I whisper glancing quickly at Sarah before turning to meet his gaze.

"I want you to understand something." There's a slim bitterness to his tone, "All that I have done. All that your mom has done. It was only to make you better... to help you."

A breeze picks up in the background my eyes turning left to scan the streets of New York. Cars move slowly through the street as people walk to their destination. Music blares off in the distance. I shift in my spot narrowing my eyes at my dad before speaking.

"To help me?" I ask with a laugh, "You definitely helped me. I'm faster, stronger, and a lot smarter then the average human. I can do many incredible things that the average human wishes they could do. But the only thing that it cost was my memory, my child and teen years and let's not forget the amounts of pain and agony you put me though. Us through."

"To make something faster, stronger, and smarter. You have to push the subject to it limits. Experiment a little. Or a lot. But in the end you'll always end up getting the better results." He fights back.

I exchange a look with Sarah. She looks sad. She's not the same eighteen year old girl I use to know. She's nineteen and has a career anybody would kill for. And then she has an amazing guy that every single girl deserves and here she is. She's stuck trying to protect me from him.

I feel guilt for pulling her into all of this. I really do. I feel bad for anybody who get's pulled into my father's bullshit. For my bullshit.

"Dad!" Sarah shouts looking at him with disgust.

"Sarah, I'm sorry but it's the truth. Sometimes you have to erase the subject and start all over." he whispers before saying. "I love you."

The uneasiness that I felt not to long ago creeps it's way back into me. Sending a shiver down my spine. From the corner of my eyes that's when I see the tiny red dot on my right shoulder. Before the sniper can shoot me I move to push my dad back into the apartment and running over to Sarah knocking us both over the edge. The bullet misses me, going straight into the grill, hitting the propane tank and causing it to exploded.

Flames erupt the right side of my face and neck catching the right side of my arm as well. Excruciating pain igniting through my body as we crash onto the sidewalk. Sirens can be heard in the background as I try to focus my eyes on Sarah. Her eyes are closed shut when I notice the pool of blood behind her head.

"Hyde!" Steve's voice calls out but it's like it's off in the distance.

My body goes numb as I try to wake Sarah up. I know it's too late. But I try CPR anyway. Pain continues to run in my veins as I continue the CPR.

"Hyde!" I hear the voice but I don't stop the compression's.

"Hyde!" I turn around to see Natasha next to me her eyes full of concern and hurt.

I turn around and continue the compression's not caring how bad my burns are. Two large hands pull me away throwing me to the ground. I look up to see Thor and the rest of The Avengers, along with a crowd and paramedics. I lay on the ground my eyes flashing up towards the sky wishing I was dead. That somehow I'll just fade away like most of my life did. Like she did.

Vote-Comment-Etc

A/N- I may or may not have teared up when writing this. Don't kill me. I may or may not be waiting for the hate.