chapter three

I sighed as I stopped in front of my locker, remembering yesterday's course of events. This year will be hell, I thought as I got my notebook out of my locker. Then, I felt a chills, and goosebumps rose on my arms. I shuddered at the ominous aura, then turned around, only to come face-to-face with Laxus and Co.

"What do you want," I growled, and remembering what they said to me just yesterday, my anger resurfaced. I slammed my locker shut and pivoted on my heel.

Laxus got a glint in his eye that made me want to cower. "Don't get cocky, Blondie. A freak like you should stay quiet. Now shut up before I hurt you, you tomboy."

I had enough. 

I opened my mouth in a fit of anger, "What do you want with me? I'm not a freak. In fact, I'm just as different as all of you. Look at you, Laxus. You resemble a gorilla more than anyone. I'm surprised your name isn't Donkey Kong, and don't even get me started on your temper. Bickslow, you're so creepy that your mom probably buys paper bags to put over your head so she doesn't have a heart attack when she sees you. Evergreen, you're literally the fakest person I know. I bet you have plastic inside you instead of organs, and I'd never want to touch that Barbie-like skin of yours, so stay away from me, please and thank you. Freed, you look like a girl with that long hair, that I'm surprised you're talking to me about my 'boyish' choice of style."

I exhaled as I finished my monologue. The hallways fell silent, as I fumed. Somebody clapped; nobody had ever dared to insult the bullies before. I bowed, and turned to leave.

Laxus and Co.'s faces were shadowed. Laxus raised his head, the tips of his ears red from embarrassment, and cheeks red from anger.

"Did you just-" Laxus glowered at me as he took a deep breath to contain himself. "Oh, you're really asking for it." 

He motioned the others towards me. I gulped, but stood tall.

Bickslow and Freed pinned me down. I struggled, but their combined strength kept me down. If I had my limbs free, I could have taken them down. Then, Laxus and the others began kicking me in my abdomen.

I wheezed in pain. I bit Freed's hand and he yelled "Owie!" in a high pitched voice. 

After being kicked in the head, I heard a "HEY!" in the distance. Blurry figures were running to catch up to me, and I heard footsteps of probably Laxus and Co. running away.

The world slowly turned black as I slipped into the folds of unconsciousness. 

***

Lucy's friends showed up near the scene. Shouts of anger were heard as they saw her crumpled figure laying on the floor.

Luke, Lucy's older brother, panted as he caught his breath from running to the scene. He stood in the middle amongst the crown which had gathered around, yelling at them to dissipate.

The high school senior had came to the middle school to run an errand. He was trusted by many, so it wasn't so surprising. Passing girls in the hallways swooned at his caramel brown hair and speckled golden-brown eyes.

He growled to Gray and Jellal, "Take Lucy to the nurse. I'll catch up with you after teaching these punks a lesson."

"B-but I want to help Lucy to-"

"NO BUTS! GO!" Luke roared. He and the others then ran after the clique, hoping to catch up with them to teach them a little lesson.

Gray and Jellal grudgingly obeyed, carrying Lucy to the nurse's office that wasn't so far away from her locker. 

***

After they had arrived, they had immediately demanded that the nurse would see them. 

A petite chubby woman wearing nurse attire emerged from the door. A badge with her name, Samantha, was pinned on her chest. Her rosy cheeks glowed and her eyes held pools of mirth in them. A sweet smile graced her lips as she glanced at the boys.

However, Samantha's sweet expression morphed into horror when she saw Lucy. Her once joyous eyes now held concern as she frowned. 

"What happened to Lucy? Bring her here, and take a seat! You must be tired from running!" the nurse exclaimed in worry. The boys nodded and Gray wiped a trail of sweat from his forehead and slumped down on the nearest bench. Jellal, being the kind person he was, politely asked for a towel and sat down gently to not wake Lucy.

After getting his towel, Samantha treated Lucy with care and love, as a mother would do to her child. She understood the pain of getting bullied and being made fun of. Her peers used to tease her for being overweight in her school days, so she understood Lucy's pain more than any other person at the moment.

"Now when you feel calm, can you explain to me what caused this awful experience, sweethearts?" She asked kindly as she focused on applying a bandage to Lucy's shin. 

Gray and Jellal nodded and took turns on saying what they thought happened, and said they arrived when she was in this state.

"Oh, how terrible! Let me ask Lucy what happened if she feels up to it when she wakes up–I'd like to know what happened from her perspective," the kind nurse concluded as she finished tending Lucy's shin.

After she was done, she rushed to the phone and called Lucy's parents. After twenty minutes, they arrived, worried even more than the nurse, if possible.

When Luke walked in, everything broke loose.

***

thanks for reading! what did you think of this chapter?

ily all,

mo-ch-i