Part 11

From: Bailey Prescott >

To: Lucas Garver >

__________________________________________________________________

RE: Promise Kept

July 14, 2012 at 6:37 AM

__________________________________________________________________

Dear Lucas,

I bet you're sleeping right now. In a little while you're going to wake up and put on that uniform and go to campus to share your story with students. I can't imagine any words you could string together that would make me drop my plans for the future and join the Marines. I mean...you're cute and very convincing in that uniform, but if someone decides to drop out of college and join the Corps---they were already on their way out. Your conscious should be clear when your head hits the pillow tonight. Speaking of pillows: where exactly is yours? Barracks? Mom's house? Dad's house? Friend's house?

I'm going to go to USC. I promise to tell boys to fuck off if they don't offer to carry my bag, but I'm afraid you might have already ruined the whole "knight in shinning armor" image for me. I recently learned that I like my knights in olive green and khaki. Also, they should wear ridiculously shiny shoes.

Enjoy the company of adults. I'm currently listening to some Disney movie blaring from the room next door. I bet it's only the first time of many I'll have to endure it while I'm here. Since you shared a life lesson with me, I'm going to share one with you. Today I'm going to be thinking about you talking to girls in college. One might want you to take her out later. If she doesn't think you're a hero for what you do for this country, then tell her to "fuck off." You're my new hero. I might not get to be that girl, but don't let just anyone take my place ;)

Good morning,

Bailey

P.S. Katy Perry doesn't know what she's talking about. It only felt so right.