Year 1 | The Weasley Three

10

     Caspian had a letter off from Hagrid on Lily's lap

     Caspian had a letter off from Hagrid on Lily's lap. The contents of the letter were short, but Hagrid had invited the twins, Ron and Hermione to spend time with him after breakfast since they had Friday afternoons off. It was only an hour later when the quartet had met up with Hagrid on the grounds by his hut and the pumpkin patch.

Harry and Ron had somehow managed to throw in their theory of Snape jinxing Harry's broomstick as they discussed the last Quidditch match. Hagrid had immediately disagreed with their theory, claiming it to be total rubbish.

      "Nonsense." Hagrid shook his head, "Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?"

      "Who knows." spluttered Harry, "Why was he trying to get past that three-headed-dog on Halloween?"

Lily recalled the recent memory of the foul three-headed beast and suppressed the shiver that rolled up her spine.

      "Who told you 'bout Fluffy?" questioned Hagrid accusingly. Lily had to admit that she was not surprised by the name nor the fact that Hagrid knew of it.

      "'Fluffy!?" Ron snorted.

     "That thing has a name?!" said Harry.

     "Well, of course he's got a name. He's mine." nodded Hagrid, as if the concept were completely normal to him. "I won him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the--"

     "Yes?" Harry, like the others, could see that they had just reached the topic they wanted to.

     "Shouldn'ta said that. Don't ask any more questions." The Giant shook his head, scolding himself. "That's top secret, that is."

If Dumbledore trusted Hagrid enough to entrust him with a secret so important, Lily wondered if the other Hogwarts professors knew of it, as well.

     "But Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it!" reasoned Harry.

     "Codswallop! Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher!"

And that mere explanation seemed justifiable enough for Hagrid, and though not admittedly, Lily, as well.

      "Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a curse when I see one. I've read all about them." Hermione chimed in at last, "You have to keep eye contact. And Snape wasn't blinking."

      Harry agreed, "Exactly."

      "Now, you listen to me, all four of ya. Yer meddlin' in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous!" said Hagrid with a sternness that surprised even himself. "What that dog is guarding is strictly between Professor Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel--"