16

It was late at night when SHIELD seemed empty. Of course there were always people there, but the usually nine-to-five people had long left. I was on my way out, ready to go home. It was the same week they had found him frozen in ice. I was walking through Communications which was a giant room filled with rows of computers. It was the heart of SHIELD. Anyone on a mission communicated back to SHIELD right there. It was the eyes and ears of the agency. The seats were about two thirds filled. The only missions going on were long term or night. Long term missions didn't need their own team of people to pass information on.

I walked through the last isles of computers. Nobody was sitting there. I stopped walking when something got caught under my boot. I stopped and picked it up. It was a simple SHIELD issued flash drive.

"Hey, anyone loose a flash drive?" I asked the agents in the room. They shuffled and looked around, some shook their heads. No one had lost a flash drive.

"Okay, have a nice night you guys." I said stuffing it in my bag, I would look at it the next day and try to return it to it's owner or wherever it needed to go. I didn't even think about it twice before trying to sleep that night.

The next morning I woke up relatively early, around eight and got myself up for work. I dressed in my normal uniform and headed off. When I got to my office, I checked my emails like always. I went through the night missions we ran, and went through the operations for today. It wasn't until I went searching for my phone in my bag that I remembered the flash drive.

I took it out of my bag and plugged it into the USB port. It opened up on my screen and I tried looking for the owner or where this thing belonged. It was locked down by some serious SHIELD protective software. It was supposed to be unable to be hacked into by anyone outside of SHIELD. In SHIELD, anyone with the right clearance could look at it. I typed in my name and password and it denied me. I froze, someone was trying to hide something. I tried to look up on whose authority was it locked on and it was myself. Someone was using my name to hide things, even I couldn't get to.

This was a dangerous game to play. And a scary one. I had Fury try to open the flash drove but he couldn't either. He just looked at me and didn't say anything.

"I'll run a few more tests, and get back to you." I finally said disappointedly. Oddly enough by the third try of opening this thing, Pierce came down to my office. I opened the door for him and I could see his eyes sweep my office. He was looking for something.

"How can I help you?" I asked him sitting down at my desk, tucking the flash drive in my hand.

"I just wanted to talk about the Tesseract." He explained taking a seat in front of me. He leaned back in the chair and crossed his leg over the other. He propped his elbow up on the arm of the chair and held his head up with his hand.

"What about it?" I asked, and he knew damn well that the Tesseract was Fury's project. He knew I hated it.

"Well you're so clearly against it, why?"

"You know damn well why, Secretary Pierce. I can't lay it out any clearer than I have in the paper I typed up for you."

"It's the key to unlimited power, unlimited energy."

"And that's great, and I could support that. But I wasn't born yesterday. There's going to be a move to make weapons out of it and I can't support that."