Crash

Adam and I headed to the scene of the crash. A black Escalade crashed into the driver's side of Sarah's Range Rover. I ran over to an ambulance that was sitting near the crash. Adam followed closely behind me. 

The back of the ambulance was open and paramedics were standing next to it. "What happened to my daughter!" I screamed. "Calm down ma'am. There were 3 women involved in the accident. "Which one is your daughter?" She asked. "Sarah, she was driving the Range Rover," I said. 

"I'm sorry, your daughter died from the impact. She passed away about 20 minutes ago." She said. 

I stood there in shock as she closed the back of the ambulance and it took off. I felt Adam wrap his arms around me from behind as tears fell down my cheeks. I felt his tears fall on my shoulder. I fell onto my knees and buried my face in my hands. Adam sat next to me and pulled me onto his lap. I buried my face in his chest and sobbed. 

An hour later, Adam carried me back in the car and we went home.

One Month Later 

A week after Sarah passed away, we had her funeral and her wake. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, to put my daughter in the ground. The police told us that the person who crashed into Sarah, blew a stop sign. They still wouldn't tell us who crashed into her and I wasn't sure if I even wanted to know. But Adam did.

Adam's POV 

I'd only known my daughter for 2 years. 2 years and she's gone forever. 

Every morning since Sarah died, Lena wakes up, feeds Adalyn and Kennedy, and just goes back to bed. She lays there and cries. I feel helpless. I try to be there for her, but I had to take care of Addie and Kennedy. 

She was getting thinner and thinner and I was getting worried about her health. She refused to eat and she refused to go anywhere. I made the band come to our house if they wanted to record or write because I was worried about leaving Lena by herself. 

I tried my best to help her, but I was scared of what she was going to do. When I looked at her, curled up in bed, I thought about when she had her miscarriage. I couldn't leave her alone, if I did, she might try to kill herself. And if I didn't come back in time, I would lose her too. 

I woke up facing Lena. She was so beautiful when she was sleeping. If I lost her, I don't know what I would do. She meant the world to me, hell, she is my world. I moved carefully off the bed so that I wouldn't wake her. I grabbed my acoustic guitar from my stand in the corner and sat on a bench that was at the foot of the bed.

I started to strum my guitar and I started to sing Wipe Your Eyes

I'm afraid that I gotta do what I gotta do 
But if I let you go where you gonna go 
We gotta make a change time to turn the page 
Something isn't right I don't wanna fight you 
We've been through tougher times you know it gets worse 
We can't turn this around please let me be first 
And as I feel your tears spilling on my shirt 
Something isn't right I don't wanna fight you 

Hey you, come on over and let me embrace you 
I know that I'm causing you pain too 
But remember if you need to cry 
I'm here to wipe your eyes 
Tonight before you fall asleep 
I'll run my thumb across your cheek 
Cry, 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 
I know I made you feel this way 
You got to breath we'll be okay 
Cry, 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 

Oh nah nah oh nah nah nah nah 
'Cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 
Oh nah nah oh nah nah nah nah 

When do we cross the line 
How could we forget 
Why do we let the pressure get into our heads 
Your broken heart requires all of my attention 
'Cause something isn't right I don't wanna fight 

Hey you, come on over and let me embrace you 
I know that I'm causing you pain too 
But remember if you need to cry 
I'm here to wipe your eyes 
Tonight before you fall asleep 
I'll run my thumb across your cheek 
Cry, 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 
I know I made you feel this way 
You got to breath we'll be okay 
Cry, 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 

Please don't lose your faith 
Don't worry 'cause I'm here to keep you safe 
I promise if you let me see your face 
That I won't let you down 
I won't let you down 
I'm here to wipe your eyes 

Tonight before you fall asleep 
I'll run my thumb across your cheek 
Cry, 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 
I know I made you feel this way 
You got to breath we'll be okay 
Cry, 'cause I'm here to wipe your eyes 

As I finished the song, I watched her eyes flutter open. "Hi baby," I said. "Hi," She said. "Thank you for singing that song," She said. I set my guitar down and climbed back into bed. I pulled her onto my lap and cradled her in my arms. "Anything for you," I said as I rocked her back and forth. I watched tears fall down her cheeks. "I just miss her so much," She said. "I know, angel. I miss her too," I said.

"I raised her by myself for 14 years and then you came back and I thought life couldn't get any better. Then I had Addie and Kennedy and life seemed perfect. I just want her back," She said. "I know Lena. I want her back too," I said. 

"I'm sorry I haven't been helping you." She said. "It's alright. You're hurt and upset." I said. "You don't have to stay here all day," She said. "Remember last time I left you when you were upset? You tried to end your life. I can't risk losing you too, Lena. I love you too much," I said. "After that, I realized life is worth living. I'm not going to attempt again. I love you, Addie, and Kennedy too much." She said. "And starting today, I'm going to try to not lay in bed all day. I'm sorry that I haven't been there for you," She said. "As long as I can be there for you, it's alright," I said. 

Suddenly, I heard two screaming babies. "Time to get back to our old routine," She said as she climbed out of my arms and walked to the girls' room. I got out of bed and followed behind her. She picked up Adalyn and I picked up Kennedy. We walked downstairs and set them in their high chairs. 

While Lena was getting baby food from the fridge, I looked through the mail that I hadn't gotten the chance to open yesterday. The letter that stood out was one from the police. On the sheet, it had the name of the person we would be facing in court. The person who blew the stop sign and killed Sarah.

Behati Prinsloo.