Chapter 7

Ramlah

I was lying on the bed with all kinds of aches and bruises. I winced as I tried to roll over. Reema wasn't sleeping with me today. She wanted me to be comfortable. I tried to change my position again but it was difficult. I never got to go to the hospital. When Baba brought me at home he just dumped me in my room. My sisters were in shock. Baba was late for work and so he stormed out the flat to the take away shop. Once he was gone one by one my sisters helped me.

"What happened api?" Ayesha had asked taking my hands, observing the wounds. I was just too exhausted. I had asked her to help me change and I was going to bed. That was six hours ago. It was nearly time for Mama and Baba to come back from work. I heard the door creaking as Mama and Baba made their way into the flat.

"You don't worry I will talk to her. You go and sleep." Mom said cautiously.

"I am warning you Shahana. She is not to step outside this building until I see some improvement in her behaviour." I heard Baba respond.

I buried my head under my duvet. I was in trouble. Big trouble. At least Baba wasn't coming to talk to me about it. He would be harsh and would have even...

Mom came in the room soundlessly. "Ramlah?"

There was a long silence. I was building my courage to face my fate.

"Yes Mama" I mumbled.

She removed the duvet from my face and body. She took in my appearance. She shifted me gently on the bed and sat down beside me. She took my hands gently and looked into the bruises. They were still clad with plasters Fadil had put on. She rose her eyes to mine. "What happened?"

"I fell, Mama." She looked at me expecting more explanation. Then I told her what happened. She quietly listened.

Once I was done telling her, I stated "Mama believe me I didn't do anything wrong. That guy was so decent, he tried his best to help in the most appropriate way as possible in that situation." My eyes were filled with tears now. I blinked back hard trying not to cry. But it was a hopeless battle. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I had held my tears since this evening. "Mama I would never let you or Baba down." I sobbed.

"I believe you, my dear. But your father" she took a pause thinking how to explain me, "he ... he worries for you. He was scared that maybe that guy took advantage of you. Or if not what if someone would have seen you with him. You are four sisters, Ramlah. Your honour is the most important asset you have."

I lowered my lashes. She was right. "I know" I muffled.

"Child, don't misunderstand your father. These are difficult times for him. He is trying his level best to survive and many times his anger is on something and he ends up releasing it on someone else. He loves and cares for you just as much as I do." I had believed this for so long but for some reason, with each passing day, it was becoming harder to believe. Gone was the man who would laugh with us. Or the man who would play with us. In his place, was an exasperated and resentful man who found every opportunity to unleash his fury on us.

"Now let me look at your wounds and tend to them." Mom informed me as she pushed up my pyjamas to observe my swollen ankle and bruised knees.

***

"Api?" Ayesha asked cautiously.

"ya?" I responded. I was still lying on the bed the next day. Since it was weekend Ayesha was lazing on the bed.

"Who was the guy who helped you?"

My lips tugged upwards thinking of Fadil. I had been thinking about him a lot since yesterday. I had never interacted with a guy this closely before. Every time I thought of him my face flushed at how caring and gentle he was. I had never daydreamed about any guy before. I didn't like this. It was haram to think of some random guy. Without realising, I said, "A Hero." I was thinking out loud.