-Chapter 27-

"Are you ready?" Charlie asks, handing me a black leather jacket he has hanging in his closet. I put it on, zipping it up to my neck, moving my hair out of its path. I feel Amelia shift, having nearly forgotten that she is strapped into a harness on my back. Charlie decided that the sooner we go and visit my brother, the better. So, without much planning, we have decided to leave and be back before dark. And since Kane has been holed up in his office all day, we couldn't have chosen a better day.

  "As ready as I can be," I say, following Charlie back into the hall. "Thank you again."

  Charlie nods, looking around the corner. "Kane's light is off in his room, so he's probably in his office still. We have to be careful though, he's a stealthy guy."

  I nod, trying to be as silent as possible. I hate the idea of going behind Kane's back again, especially with what took place at the Social Gathering, but I don't have many options at this point. I need to see Paul, and I need to see him now.

  We go past Kane's office unnoticed, then stop short before heading into the main room. Who knows how many people are sitting out there; enjoying their own recreational time. Will they notice us, or can we make it through? I step closer to Charlie, and peer around the corner with him.

  "Don't act too suspicious, let's just try to act normal and head out the tunnel like we are going out for a walk," Charlie instructs, pulling his hood up, then slipping on a pair gloves. The weather has taken a nasty turn over the course of the day, dropping at least thirty degrees. I heard some of the men discussing the possibility of a small snow flurry.

  We work our way out into the main room, and I'm surprised by the lack of men sitting about. There are a few huddled in one corner, playing cards; and another paunchy man zonked out on a couch. None of them notice us, so Charlie and I slip into the tunnel without any problems. The tunnel smells wet and musky, and I adjust the collar of my jacket.

  "You have everything?" Charlie asks, and I nod, walking further down the tunnel. With Charlie's help, I am able to remove the cement slab in front of the entrance. I brace myself; imagining how cold it must be outside.

  Charlie and I walk outside, and I have to pause a moment, letting my eyes adjust. Kane's lair has very few windows, and having been stuck inside the complex for the past few days, the bright light is overwhelming. Charlie tosses me a small handgun, and I frown, slightly confused.

  "Just in case," He says, his jaw clenched. I know that Charlie is worried. He is worried about going behind Kane's back, but I can tell he is also very worried about me. In his mind, I'm not safe anywhere but with him and the rest of the men, locked away in a building with no access to the outside world. Letting me reach out to my brother must be hard for him; I can tell.

  "Does Amelia look okay?" I ask. "Does she look comfortable?"

  Charlie carefully adjusts the harness, and I hear Amelia gurgle to herself; obviously pleased. She must be fine.

  "I'd say so," Charlie says, placing his hand just above my hip, guiding me onto the street. We keep our heads low, not wanting to draw any undue attention to ourselves. I feel safer walking on the streets now that I have a guide. The other night when I was alone, Lady Paula was my guide in her own way. But back when I lived on the streets, I had to take care of myself. There was no one else to help me; take care of me. This is a nice change.

  After a few miles we come to a small intersection, and that's when I see them. Two Government Agents walking our way. I try to keep body language calm, and I don't say anything when Charlie pulls me to his side. "Pretend like we're just out for a walk," Charlie whispers, and then he laughs and I follow suite. We keep our heads low, and I press closer to Charlie.