Chapter 9.1: A Princely Favour

When luncheon came around, I lied.

"I have another fitting today after lunch," I said casually, as Rosanna braided a strand of pink ribbons into Ella's hair. Emily snorted from where she was refreshing Ella's breakfast makeup. I'd sent the camel colored day dress along to Audra when the maids had cleared our luncheon dishes, if only to serve as a front for my sneaking out to meet James.

"What terrible timing," Ella said, "If they try to take any measurements you should insist upon returning first thing in the morning. I won't have you running about in ill-fitting clothes!"

"Of course not," I agreed, smoothly continuing with, "She wanted to try some fabrics with my colouring to see which ones would look best,"

"Seems like quite the thorough palace seamstress," Emily said, arching her eyebrows maliciously at me.

"Shall I deliver your messages before I go?" I asked, shooting Emily a taunting look. Her face turned sour as Ella agreed to let me perform nosy Emily's favourite duty.

Taking up the few letters, I disappeared into the hallway, quickly glancing at the names on the seals. Before I could think to try to read one of them through the paper as no doubt Emily routinely did, a maid carrying a letter tray appeared around the corner, a stack of messages already present.

"May I add a few more?" I asked her. She bobbed a curtsey and I abandoned my duty to hurry down the hall.

When I found my way to the West Rose Garden, the gentle sounds of a violin quartet and feminine laughter floated across the grass. I frowned, thinking back to the vacancy in the social calendar until tonight. Surely if there was an afternoon garden session, Ella would've been invited? Unless of course this was what they had meant by an "elite" event.

When I rounded the corner, I slowed my pace, instinctively tucking myself behind a hedge to peer through it. Sure enough, the croquet lawn was fully set up but there were only a few players. I spotted Andrew first, thanks to the modest gaggle of parasol-toting ladies that surrounded him. Lord Amberly was there, deftly smacking a red ball through a hoop to the staged chagrin of his partner, Lady Roxton. A peal of laughter carried across the lawn and I watched as Andrew grinned at Lady Thornbury, her twinkling laugh the essence of feminine charm.

Andrew and Sarah? That was interesting. From what I could remember about Emily's gossip, they'd all considered Penelope Roxton or Ashley Mayfair as the front runners for the prince's attention. I'd heard of Sarah Thornbury in passing, but clearly no one had seen her this familiar with the prince.

As she laughed, I watched Penelope throw a dirty look, albeit a brief one, over Lord Amberly's shoulder towards where Sarah had brazenly entwined her arm with Andrew's as they made their way towards where they'd whacked their croquet balls. Ashley Mayfair looked particularly sour as Andrew left her and Mary Marquette standing by their lonesome.

"May I help you?"

I let out a little yelp of surprise as I turned around to see a butler standing behind me, a disapproving look on his pinched face.

"His Highness had requested to speak with me," I said, doing my best to look stuffy and obnoxious. He didn't seem to believe me, if his single arched eyebrow was to be believed.

"And your title, Miss...?" he said, blatantly ruling me out as a lady.

"Marks-Whelan," I said drawing myself up, "If you'll announce me, please,"

He sputtered as I turned and strode towards the rose garden gate.

"Only ladies get announced, Miss Marks-Whelan," he sniffed, coming after me to block my path, "This is an exclusive event and I do not recall seeing your name on the entrance list,"