XXX. A Different Kind of Free

Desiree walked out of the bedroom after staring at the ceiling for what seemed like hours. Theo was gone when she woke up and she had enough time to think—or to gather enough resolve. Barefoot with dressed in nothing but Theo's shirt, she padded her way to the kitchen where she found him talking on the phone, sitting in front of the table. Choosing that moment to position herself and prepare for the talk, she went ahead to grab a cup of coffee and sat across from him.

"I'll be there in an hour," he said to the phone with a frown.

"I assume that must be about last night."

He nodded. "Our father wants us to report underground as soon as possible."

She was not surprised that Vernier's death had already circulated underground. And then she thought of Tatiana. What would she be feeling right now? Putting aside her worries, she looked at Theo. "Are you certain you and Richard will be fine?"

He nodded, his jaw set. "We took care of all possible surveillance before we left. And since Richard couldn't trust other people to do the sweeping again, he did it himself."

"Won't the guards talk?"

Theo did not answer. He just sipped from his cup.

"Theo. Won't the guards talk?"

She watched him swallow. "Richard took care of that last night when we left."

Her eyes widened. "And you let him do that? Those men were only doing their job—"

"It would have been different if we did not end up killing Vernier, Des. But since we did we didn't have much choice. It was that or..." he let his voice trail away to make his point.

Desiree shook her head in disbelief. "This is why I can't stay here longer. Everything you guys do—"

"We try to avoid such things, Desiree. There are just days that we have no other choice."

"Of course, you have a choice," she bit out.

He just looked at her, his eyes distant again. "We need to talk."

"Yes." She blinked and squared her shoulders. "I did my part. You have everything you want. That means I can go now, right?"

He looked at her for a long time before he answered. "Of course."

*****

Marco watched as Khaye made her preparations. She packed what she could and called a friend from high school in a small town out of the city.

He didn't like this at all. He had been through a lot because of her. And now she just wanted to leave?

But no matter how he thought about it, it was for the best. This way he could do whatever he had to do. And if she just stay put, he could always get to her. If she just behaved and stay away from everything she was not expected to be, he would be able to do his job.

Did Gian warn her? He wondered.

The two could have met and the only day he could think of was during her disappearance in the supermarket. Or if it was not that day, they could have easily called each other. He'd have to check Gian's phone records.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" he asked her again.

"Yes. I'll be fine, Marco. You'll realize soon enough that I am right. If I just stay out of the spotlight and out of everyone I know, I'll be fine."

"But what about your life? You want to go back to—"

Her head snapped toward him. There was anger and bitterness in her eyes. "As you can see, that is not a very wise decision right now. At least I'd have something to do other than just being holed up in here. And you—you can do your job better."