You And Me: Drop Something.

edited october 8th 2016

Hours later, Carl and I were resting on the cell bed that gradually became comfortable with time. I had my head on his chest as he stroked my hair. I enjoyed this all so much and would wish for this peacefulness we had right now to always be with us, but sadly it wouldn't be.

"How do you think we'll die?" I broke the silence that had grown between us both. "I really try not to think about that, but why do you ask?" He asked knowing something on my mind was bothering me. "I just think about how it'll happen and when it will happen. If it will be by a walker or by somebody like The Governor." I rambled on

"Ella, there isn't any reason we have to talk about this. Do you understand me?" He asked and I just nodded. I was a really overdramatic person if that wasn't obvious and I liked to think overdramatic thoughts.

I began to doze off because of how long the day was for me. Sleeping was such a great option and sounded so perfect right now. 

Carl kissed my forehead as he realized I was slowly beginning to fall asleep. He wanted to be asleep with me more than anything, but a series of events plagued his mind. The helpless feeling he felt while being hung upside like walker food. My full on rage, smashing The Governor's face into absolutely nothing. The life or death feeling we felt jumping off the very tall tower. Michonne's speech about the person named Doug.

"Carl" Rick called and Carl turned to him, careful not to wake me.

"Talk to you for just a second." Rick said and Carl slowly got up from under me

Carl followed Rick down the steps, and Rick took a seat in the middle of the staircase. Carl sat right next to his dad and was ready for this talk from his dad.

"I know that I really haven't been around much, but that is going to change. I promise you Carl that it will change. I never realized how much you've grown into a man since we'd left the farm. I can't even begin to express how proud I am of you. I know that your mama would be real proud of you too."

"I'm really sorry for how bad of a dad I have been to both you and Judith recently."

"No, I'm sorry dad. You have gotten us this far and I feel like most of us here, including me, don't give you the credit you deserve." Carl added to his dad's statement and that warmed Rick's heart so genuinely.

"Drop something?" Rick smiled and handed Carl his hat that Carl had not noticed was behind Rick's back. "Thank you dad" Carl smiled and put his signature hat back on his head. Carl then took the initiative to give his dad a well deserved hug.

Rick sighed in relief at this reassuring squeeze that Carl had given. Carl was obviously always going to be Rick's son, whether Carl liked it or not. It was just important to Rick that he didn't lose his son. That's the last thing that Rick would ever want in this world.

Morning approached faster than ever and Judith's crying woke me up. Carl was no longer in bed and I'd figured he went out on morning duty or something. I walked down the stairs to get Judith and had not paid any real mind to the fact that I had not seen anybody from my group around. It didn't startle me at all really in the first place.

I picked Judith up from her playpen and tickled her tummy. "Good morning sweet girl! Good morning baby girl!" I baby talked her and she began to laugh. 

An arm then suddenly wrapped around my neck and a bag was aggressively placed over my head.