[000]

It was hard to get used to the new neighbors at first. They were loud and obnoxious and blasted music in the early hours of the morning. I'd still have to admit, their music taste could have been worse; they played things like Blink-182 and Nirvana, which isn't half bad at two in the morning. Especially when you're higher than a kite. Anyway, I'm off topic. Probably because I'm high, but whatever.

I think it's two brothers that live nextdoor. From what I've heard, it's just them. I don't know what happened to their parents, but it was never any of my business, as far as I was concerned.

That's probably what I like most about myself: I'm not very nosy. What happens happens, and I reckon it's not my place to inquire anyone about it.

So I never paid much attention to the kids nextdoor. Not until one night when I smoked way too much pot and they were playing Anthrax. I mean, fucking Anthrax.

Either way, I was high off my ass and my mom wasn't home that night, so I walked over and knocked on the door. It got really quiet and everything looked really colorful and funny, and everything was just so happy until it just wasn't.

All the lights went off in the house, the music stopped and there was a click that indicated someone had just locked the door. I had the eerie feeling that someone was watching me through the peephole.

Nothing went through my foggy head. There were yells coming from inside the house, but not directed at me. Someone screaming, "Mikey! Get the fuck away from there!" and another hollering, "What the hell are you doing? Go!"

And I don't remember much after that because the door opened and I caught a glimpse of something red and shiny just before the frying pan connected with the side of my skull. All I can recall is hitting the cement outside the house hard, my body collapsing and curling into a semi-unconscious ball.