XXXI. Life So Far

4 MONTHS LATER

Khaye threw her apron away, said her goodbyes to her coworkers and walked out of the diner in faded jeans, boots and green sweater.

She walked two blocks in silence, her mind empty of thoughts, and stopped outside the door of the bookstore and stepped inside. The young man behind the counter snapped his head up and his besotted smile crept up his face when he saw her. "I almost thought you won't be dropping by," he said.

"You thought wrong because I am almost done with my current reading. Has something arrived today?"

"Sadly, no. But we'll have a new delivery tomorrow. How is the current read?"

She shrugged. "Haven't figured out whether I like it or not and I am nearly done with two chapters to go."

The young man winced. "That bad?"

"Not in the sense," she said, walking away to her favorite row of shelves. "I think I'll get another one full of action this time."

"I don't think we have some that would meet your high standards, but it's your risk to take!"

Moments later, she walked out the bookstore and strolled the remaining three blocks to her apartment building.

She was almost run over by the kids playing outside the complex and she sighed. She finally reached her floor and as she turned the key to her door, she looked over her shoulder to survey the area. It had been a habit and so far it had worked.

Shutting the door, she locked all three bolts she had personally installed. Throwing her boots to the side and the plastic of new books on her second-hand sofa, she went to fix herself a cup. She carried it to her bedroom where she tucked herself in and opened her current read. Before she continued chapter 84, Khaye looked around her and smiled.

Who would have expected her life would turn out like this?

But it was life nonetheless. And there was still hope.

*****

"What's that?" Desiree asked over his shoulder.

"It's a file I just found out yesterday."

She frowned. "What do you mean? I thought you and Richard had already gone through all the files?"

His scrolled his computer and his frown deepened as well.

"Is that Jamaica?" Desiree asked, leaning closer to the screen.

Theo's computer screen was suddenly filled with dozens of photos. And all of them were focused on one woman: Jamaica.

"Oh my God," she gasped, straightening her back. "Were they spying on her?"

There were photos of her friend with Richard and other men. And there were others with her as well. It seemed that every part of Jamaica's life had been monitored.

"Wait, what's that?" she asked, grabbing Theo's hand to stop him from scrolling.

"Stop it, Des," he said, closing his computer. "I'll print everything and then we'll look at it together. I can't concentrate with you breathing down on me."

She gave him a look and said, "Then print them now. What are you waiting for?"

Theo just shook his head and opened his computer again. Desiree was already standing in front of the printer. As the papers filed out, she grabbed them and studied them.

"I told you about what Vernier said regarding Jam, right? He said she was not the person we all thought she was. Could this be the answer to that?"