10. A Recipe For Disaster

"So you embarrassed the hell out of him and he wasn't even mad at you?" Erika clarified with a confused look on her face.
"If anything he was more pissed at Mia" I nodded as I sat at the counter, watching Erika work. Even though it was a Saturday and I wasn't working, I decided to come in to chat with Erika and Silver whilst they worked.

"Well, the Elijah Antonelli I've heard all about would have given you grief for the next month, so what's changed? It sounds like someone has a soft spot for you" she pointed out, blunt as ever.
"Me and Eli? No, never, nope, nah"
"That was three more no's than was necessary" she raised an eyebrow at me.
"I'm just extra certain that nothing is going on between us and never will" I clarified before taking a long sip of milkshake, attempting to bury the conversation.

It was true though, Eli and I were so wrong for each other. In many ways we were very similar, we were both stubborn and both argumentative, it was a recipe for disaster. We constantly argued, I mean, they were playful arguments and they weren't meant in a harsh way, but still, we're at each other's throats all the time - and not in the way couples are meant to be.

On top of all that, he was my brothers' best friend, they basically considered him family and I wasn't sure who they;d be more protective of, me or Eli. I shook my head, trying to physically get rid of all thoughts of Elijah. God, why was I thinking about him so much lately?

"Sure if you say so" she shrugged as she turned on the blender and filled the cafe with noise. I couldn't quite pinpoint in my mind why I was so relieved that conversation was over.
"Look what the cat dragged in" Silver chimed as she walked past me to serve a table. I sighed when I turned to the door and saw Tristan walk in, heading directly towards me. Other than Mia Hastings, I couldn't think of anyone I would less rather see.

"Before you go all rocky on me, just hear me out" he said, holding his hands up. Looking at him now, I can't believe I had the guts to hit him, the guy was literally just a wall of muscle, I think even Hunter would struggle to intimidate him.

"I'm listening" I mused, humouring him.
"What happened to your eye?" he suddenly asked, leaning in closer to inspect my eye.
"I fell!" I exclaimed, by this point sick of the way people kept staring at me and asking what happened.
"Oh, why doesn't that surprise me?" he chuckled.

"I believe you were about to apologise" I glared at him.
"Oh yeah! Listen Peyton, I was such an idiot, not only for what I did to you, but for the way I acted after. I look back now and realise that I threw away something that could have been amazing, all because I had too much to drink. It was wrong of me to kiss someone else and it was wrong of me to then make up some dumb excuse and say we weren't exclusive. Peyton, you are so special and I just need another chance to prove to you that I am not the jerk you think I am" he gushed and I believed that he meant it sincerely.

The truth was, once I got over the initial shock, I got over it pretty quickly. I wasn't angry any more.
"I'm afraid Tristan, that words alone are not enough to earn my forgiveness" I began, spinning my chair so that I could face him, and I put on my most sincere face.
"Words?" he was confused, but he also looked desperate which almost made me chuckle.
"I think that another milkshake might just be enough to soften me up"

***

Later that day I parked the car I shared with my brothers on Elijah's driveway, looking up at his house I felt slightly nervous. We had never hung out, just the two of us. Well technically, it wasn't just us hanging out, technically he hadn't even invited me over, his sisters had. They invited me over to bake with them and how could I refuse? I liked his family, and also, cookies. I walked over and knocked on the white front door, I could hear music from inside and I smiled as I could hear voices singing along to it.

"Peyton!" Bella exclaimed as she answered the door. I peered around his mum to see Elijah dancing around the kitchen with his sisters, not a care in the world. I chuckled at the sight, I had never seen him like that, so playful and free.
"Hi!" I grinned at her.
"Come on in, we're just getting started" she practically dragged me into the house where the music was blaring. "Turn that down, we have a guest!" Bella called over the music, the three of them  turned to look at me and Eli instantly paled.

"You saw nothing!" he shouted in an accusing voice.
"Relax twinkle toes! I'm not gonna tell anyone that I just saw you tap dancing" I giggled as I walked over to the kitchen. 
"Good" he said sternly before breaking into a breathtaking smile, it was the most genuine smile I had seen and it literally took my breath away. When he smiled, properly smile, his whole face lit up, from his dimples to his glittering eyes.

"Elly dances all the time" Nina chuckled.
"Is that so, Elly?" I looked up at him with amused eyes.
"That is vicious slander, Lily" he returned my stare.

***

"These cookies are delicious" I said as I took a bite of my second one.
"You're gonna make yourself sick" Eli told me as he watched me eat.
"I drank two milkshakes before I came here and I felt absolutely fine" I glared at him.
"Why would you have two milkshakes" he raised an eyebrow at me.
"Well, Tristan offered to buy the second one and I couldn't say no, could I? That would be rude" I lied, technically, the milkshake had been a bribe, but Eli didn't need to know that.

"Wait? Tristan? Why were you talking to Tristan" he suddenly gave me a very serious look, swivelling on the sofa so he was directly facing me. His mom and sisters were in the kitchen finishing up.
"He was apologising to me, if you must know"
"I really hope you hit him again" there wasn't a hint of laughter on his face, in fact he looked quite angry and for some obscene reason I felt the need to defend myself.

"He bought me a milkshake! How could I stay mad at the guy when he bought me a milkshake?!" I exclaimed, shrugging my shoulders.
"Well I'll remember that next time I piss you off"
"No doubt it won't be too long" I murmured before he looked at me with an offended.

"I am an angel, Liliana!" he glared at me.
"I'm inclined to disagree" I said before he pounced on me and began violently tickling me.
"Stop! I'm gonna pee!" I shouted as he straddled me and tickled me mercilessly.
"Say I'm an angel, Liliana!" he called above my painful laughter.
"You're the devil!" I gasped as my body was assaulted by waves of discomfort.

He tried to hold me still as I squirmed underneath him, but my body was flailing about wildly.
"Say it Liliana" he demanded, his voice came out calm and authoritative despite the rapid actions of his hands.
"Never!" I exclaimed as I heard battle cries sounding from the kitchen.

Before I knew it, Nina had appeared out of nowhere and tackled Eli off of me, but she was no match for him. He simply slung her over his shoulder before he placed his hand on Amelia's head, stopping her advances. His arms were too long so none of her hits actually reached him. It was a happy sight, to see them all whole-heartedly laughing with one another.

"Do you want some of this? I've still got legs to kick, Liliana" he chuckled as he strained to hold Amelia back and control Nina as she kicked at him.
"Retreat!" I yelled, grabbing Amelia and dragging her out of the war zone, into the safety of the kitchen. We were both laughing like mad men by the time we got there.

I looked over to where Elijah was messing around with Nina and I felt this weird feeling form in the pit of my stomach. I can't describe it exactly, it was like a mixture of excitement and hope, it was a warm feeling. Its sort of like the feeling you get when you miss someone and you know you're going to see them soon, except that Elijah was right in front of me.

Seeing him with his sisters, the way he had acted with me, it made me realise how special he had become to me. I relied on him, he made me feel safe and for someone reason I felt I could trust him beyond anyone else. I felt something special between. And then it hit me, metaphorically and literally.

I realised I liked Elijah, and a part of me always had, just as he sent a pillow hurtling towards my face, knocking me down. If I get another black eye he is dead.

***

Howdy!
This chapter is quite short because it was originally really long but I decided to cut it in half, but I promise the next chapter is going to be super exciting! 

Thank you guys so much for all of your support! Please keep voting and commenting

JJ xo