Chapter 37

"I am more than pleased to inform you that your child is, in fact, okay, Miss Marin," the matron told Elizabeth with a genuine, cheerful smile, "However, your condition..."

"What's wrong with me?" Elizabeth asked cautiously, pulling the hospital bed covers around her tightly. She was suffering from the biting winds and crisp cold that cloaked the hospital wing.

"You are at no risk of death, no..." The nurse sighed out with relief, "However, a few of your ribs are broken and the medication needed could possibly harm you and/or the baby."

"I don't want it," Elizabeth refused instantly, "No harm shall be unnecessarily inflicted on them."

"It will be a very short and painful process without the medication, but I respect your decision, Miss Marin."

"Has Tom visited?"

Elizabeth's eyes were red and puffy, deprived of sleep and her simple needs - food and gentle care.

"Yes, dear," the matron replied softly. Elizabeth smiled before letting the nurse move on to other patients, content that she'd both gotten some sleep at some point, during which her boyfriend had visited.

Elizabeth's eyelids fluttered shut as elegantly as a sick person's could and was taken into a world of dreams. Meanwhile, Tom finished his classes and headed straight to her side. Taking one of her hands in both of his, he pressed his forehead against her cold fingers.

"Get better," he hummed as he felt a cool substance begin to stroll down his cheeks, "Please, Lizzie."

Elizabeth shot up. Her hands were drenched. She spotted Tom and breathed out, "It's you."

"It's me," Tom said as he sniffed away his tears, wiping his eyes with his jumper sleeve, "Sorry, I woke you. I should let you rest-"

"No," Elizabeth ordered. "Stay, please."

Tom nodded, smiling although the emotions didn't get across to Elizabeth. He was still upset and she could see it from the way the moonlight reflected in his darkened blue eyes. His tears were shining.

"The nurse said some of my ribs are broken," Elizabeth finally said, "I refused medication."

"What?" Tom responded, furrowing his brows. She went to speak again but Tom cut her off, "Lizzie, you're pregnant! You need to look after yourself, I-"

"It could harm the baby or even me, Tom. I'd rather feel a little more pain than heightening the chances of one of us dying."

Tom tilted his head down, ashamed of himself for snapping at his girlfriend. "I'm sorry, I didn't realise.  You know I can't lose you. I-I'd go back to the way I was."

"You won't lose me, Tom," Elizabeth grinned. She gripped his fingers with hers, "After school, all of this will be so much easier. You won't have anyone around except the baby and I."

"I know," Tom smiled back, "I can't wait."