5|Nandini Murthy

The traffic in Mumbai is nearly as bad as Delhi's, if not more. I already have a headache because of the flight and mom's constant sobbing. She just wouldn't stop. Until Sujata aunty told her about a sale at pantaloons, which thankfully cheered her up. Previous week in Delhi was great fun. I had a gala time bonding with everyone. I wish it could have lasted longer.
This is temporary. I remind myself. Once I have had my revenge, I will go back.

As I pull up in front of Punit Pathak's office, I feel grumpier. I am about to enter the building when suddenly, I see an old lady across the road, looking terrified. She is cornered by a bunch of goons. One of them has a knife.

I quickly cross the road and reach the scene.

"Get away from her!" I scream angrily. One of the goons sees me and runs away. The others are not as smart. The one with the knife advances towards me. The old woman is crouching behind me.

In a swift movement, I slash my right arm through the space between us and hit him hard in his wrist. The knife falls to the floor. Before he can pick it up, I grab him by his collar and punch him square in the face. His nose starts bleeding instantly. I leave him and he takes several steps back. His gang finally realises it's not a good idea for them to pick on me. They scutter away.

"Are you okay, ma'am?" I ask the old lady.

"Yes, I am fine. Thank you so much beta." She breathes. She is short and squat, with a kind face and too many rings on her stubby fingers. Her grey hair is pulled back in a low bun. She is wearing a navy blue oversize t-shirt and black, baggy jeans. She must be in her mid-sixties.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" I ask her politely.

"No dear! I think can manage to get home." She smiles warmly.

"Okay. Please be careful." I nod at her and turn around.

"Thank you once again. God bless you!" I hear her calling out.

...........

"I am here for the job of the bodyguard." I say to the lady behind the desk in the reception.

"Manik Malhotra?" She enquires.

"Yes."

"You are late. You were supposed to be the 1st person to go in. I am not sure if Mr. Pathak still wants to see you. He is very particular about time."

Shit. This can't be happening. I am late by what, 15 minutes?

"I am sure you can do something about that." I give her a crooked smile, which somehow works on all women and helps me get my way.

Her cheeks flush and she looks at me a little too long.

"I'll see what can be done." She blushes and goes into a cabin. I suppress my chuckle.

She emerges from the cabin after 5 minutes. "Mr. Pathak is ready to see you. All the best!" She smiles.

"Thank you!" I proceed towards the cabin.

It's big. There is a desk in the centre and sitting behind it is a formally dressed man in his forties, I suppose.
There is a huge balcony attached to the room. Through its glass door, I can see a tall, bald, hulk of a man, dressed in black, standing at the railing.

As I walk towards the table, Pathak gestures me to go into the balcony instead. I oblige and he also follows me.

"Manik. This is Robin. He is a part of the inner circle of Mr. Singhania's personal security team. Your task is to knock him out, if you can."