Chapter Nine: Will You Just Die Already?

Not edited
It was a crazy thought. It was the most insane thing my brain had ever conjured up, and my brain has conjured up a lot. But this-by far-takes the cake.

I searched the house for nearly twenty minutes just yelling for Marilyn. I went in every room and even checked every cupboard and/or closet. She was no where in sight.

I was about to make the choice to go outside when Marilyn barged in through the front door. She seemed a bit panicked. Her eyes scanned me up and down as if making sure I was okay.

"Why the hell are you screaming?" She snapped at me.

"I didn't know where you went-is that blood?" I said noticing a dark splotch on her grey t-shirt. She looked down at the shirt inspecting the stain before answering with certainty.

"Yes." I gulped staring at the stain. "Don't worry, it's not my blood," she said as if it were nothing.

"Who's is it?" I said automatically thinking the absolute worse thing. I didn't want to think it was Kieran's but I couldn't help but fear for him.

"Not sure. A group of five pack wolves charged at Bolton this morning. That's why Kieran had to go. Usually Bolton would be able to handle five pack wolves easily, but these five were a bit stronger than just normal wolves. He wasn't exactly at the top of his game, either. Pretty sure he used the first half of his shift to hit up some bar and find some poor girl just a little too tipsy if you know what I mean," she said still looking at the stain on her shirt. It looked like it really bothered her. "After he called Kieran, another group of five rushed in from the back. That's only happened like one other time to our parents-never to us. They usually come in all at once; do the whole 'power in numbers' tactic, so Kieran called saying 'they're coming,' while you were asleep-" Instantly I froze. I wasn't looking at how her manicured nails scratched at the barely dried blood. Now, I was looking at her lips as they continued to move as she talked.

"Wait," I said causing her to narrow her eyes at me.

"I was speaking-"

"Was he asking if you were sure I was sleeping?" I asked realized something.

"Yeah?" Marilyn said seeming more confused than ever. "Were you eavesdropping?" She accused getting louder with every word.

"No, I think I heard your conversation in my dream," I mumbled, but I knew she heard it.

Her eyes focus on me as the most dumb-founded expression crossed her face.

"You are freaking psychotic," she said running a bloodied hand through her blonde locks. Marilyn quickly jerked her hand away from her hair and looked at in disgust. "Perfectly good waste of a manicure," she muttered turning around to head back out the door.

I hurriedly reached out to grab her arm. My attempt resulted in failure. Her body spun around swiftly catching my hands in a tight hold. Her eyes flashed to darkness and then back to their original brown color along with a vicious snarl that left her red lips. I wasn't positive if the red on her lips was because of a lipstick or blood. I assumed a little bit of both.

"Listen, this is serious! There was this woman. I think I saw-" I tried to get out but was silenced by a sharp pain in my right shoulder. Immediately, Marilyn- who was in front of me-gasped, cussed, and then collapsed to the floor.

I spun around just in time to see another bullet being fired at me. I dodged it by running directly into the kitchen. Another shot sounded through the house as drywall flew right in front of me.

My heart was pounding and my shoulder was bleeding profusely. I clenched my teeth together and looked at the wound on my shoulder quickly. I knew in that moment that the bullet must have went though my shoulder and hit Marilyn in the chest. I just hoped it wasn't in the heart.