Chapter 15

Four Years Later...

Camila trudged into the two-story townhouse that she and Lauren shared, dropped her purse onto the floor, and promptly flopped onto the couch. Face-first. She groaned once but couldn't summon the energy to adjust her position. She was so tired, and she felt like complete and utter shit. Today had been a long one at the psychiatric clinic. Her client's needs depleted her of all energy and the mandatory 24 hour shift had finally come an end. As a freshman she had loved the rush of these shifts, but now as a fourth year student, Camila longed for a regular schedule with patients scheduled at least a day in advance. She liked the routine of clinic days and out-patient care.

Her cell phone rang, and she groaned because she didn't want to move in order to answer it. It was her girlfriend calling—she had a special ringtone—and if Camila didn't answer, Lauren would worry and leave the hospital to check on her.

That was the only downfall of choosing different specialties. They were in their final year of medical school which meant that they had a limited amount of time to clock in grueling hours of clinical experience. Lauren spent her days on the prestigious cardiac unit performing life-altering surgeries on pediatric patients and Camila spent countless hours at the psychiatric clinic. She'd missed the days where they work alongside each other, where could have lunch together or sneak in quick love-making session in an empty exam room.

She fumbled with her pocket and finally dug the phone out, putting it to her ear while she still lay facedown.

"'Laur," she mumbled.

"Hey baby girl" Lauren's raspy voice filled Camila's ear. "Just making sure you made it home safely. How was your day?"

Just hearing her voice sent warmth through Camila's veins. "I'm tired," Camila answered, not even bothering to lie and say fine. "Dylan Ramsey had another manic episode and it took us four hours to de-escalate his behavior. And then Tonya Frankford was readmitted because she was having suicidal thoughts. She said she stopped taking her medication months ago because she felt better. I swear you take a few steps forward and they come back right where they started. It's so disappointing," Camila let out a frustrated sigh.

"I'm sorry, Camzi," Lauren said, "I know it's frustrating but you are making a difference. Even though it doesn't feel like it on most days. I have about an hour between cases. You should come to the hospital and have dinner with me."

As tempting as the suggestion was, Camila was simply too exhausted to move. Going anywhere would require far more energy than she possessed. "Thanks baby but I'll pass. I can't even fathom leaving the house right now. Plus, Ally is coming over with a pizza," Camila explained. "She had her first twin delivery today and she wants to celebrate."

"Okay, well I'll be home after midnight."

"And I'm going to take a nap before Ally gets here," she mumbled to Lauren. "You know how excited she gets when she has news."

"Speaking of news," Lauren said. "I have something to share with you but I can't do it over the phone."

The trickle of panic crawled over her skin, making her aware of the familiar clutching sensation in her stomach. "Good or bad?" Camila questioned.

"Um..." Lauren hesitated. "It depends on your perspective."

Camila's eyebrows quirked in confusion. "You know I hate surprises."

"You know I love you, right?"

Camila eyed her phone warily. "That's typically a lead-in people say to give themselves permission to tell you something you don't want to hear." She ran her tongue across the crooked ridges of her teeth.