Chapter 22 - The Confrontation

~~~ CHAPTER 22 - THE CONFRONTATION ~~~

        Even if I didn't tell her to come in, Stella went inside. Her towering height somehow intimidated me.

        Still, even if she hadn't been told to take a seat, she headed to the sofa and sat there with her legs crossed flaunting her weird-looking stilletos.

        "What do you want? Nigel isn't around," I asked her immediately. I didn't want to waste my time looking at her face. Her presence alone peeved me to a great extent.

        "I'm here not to see him but to see you. As I said, I want to talk to you," she answered directly.

        What? What did she actually want from me?

        "So what do you want to talk to me? Go ahead," I said still standing in front of her. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Suzana appearing in the living room but I gave her a sign to go back to the kitchen. At first, she was hesitant to leave me alone with Stella and I could tell why. The latter appeared to have come for a fight. However, I assured Suzana through a slight nod in my head that I could handle this woman. She finally left but I was pretty sure that she was just around ready to aid her señorita in case of an attack.

        "What exactly are you in Nigel's life?" Stella broke in, still in her demanding voice.

        I blinked my eyes at her. Hadn't Nigel told her that I was his foster sister? Didn't she believe that?

        She stood up and crossed her arms in her chest. "Come on, tell me!"

        "Didn't Nigel tell you that I am his mom's foster daughter?" I replied sarcastically.

        "You know what? I don't believe that crap!" she yelled at me.

        "What the hell is the matter with you?" I asked also raising my voice. "What do you want me to tell you?"

        "I want to know what you are in his life!"

        "Why do I have a feeling that somebody's acting so insecure here?" I retorted.

        Yes, I wanted to tell her in the face that I was engaged to her boyfriend! But, of course, I couldn't do that. If she had to know, it would not come from me, it had to come from Nigel.

        "You wouldn't like it if you knew so better not to insist on knowing the truth..." I said calming myself now. I had been to being hurt several times and that feeling was unbearable. I wouldn't want her to feel the same... like I cared... Gosh, what really was the matter with me?

        "You're a bitch, do you know that?" she came closer to me and was about to slap my cheek but I was too quick to avert my face away from her.

        "What's the matter with you? You only saw me twice before, and now that you see me for the third time, you actually want to hit me on the face!" I felt the blood boiling down in me. This Stella was one heck of a war freak.

        "Because you're a great fake!" she shouted. "You pretend to be just his foster sister but you're acting like---"

        "What?" Had I acted so clingy to Nigel everytime she was around? Of course, I hadn't because I wanted to keep the engagement secret to her and to give Nigel full time with her. She was his girlfriend and she was something not forced to him, he must love her that much. I was just trying to be martyr. Would she ever understand the heartache I felt every time?

        "What have I done? How have I been acting?" I asked again.

        She took a deep breath and turned around so her back was facing me. "Okay, okay it's not you who's acting weird," she said trying to pacify her tone. "It's Nigel maybe... Why do I have a feeling that he's been protecting you like crazy?" Her voice was slightly raised again.