Spare Me (Avengers/Romanoff x reader)

Natasha ran into the kitchen, throwing a tablet on the table, cracking its screen from the strength of her anger. "So she just left?! She left and no one had the presence of mind to tell me?! Who knew about this?!" Her eyes darted around the table, waiting for Steve, Clint, Tony or Thor to say anything.

Steve slowly put down his coffee cup, not making eye contact with her or his teammates as he cleared his throat, "I did."

Her anger was immediately shifted; feeling the change in climate around him, Steve stood and backed towards the door. "Romanoff, it was her choice, and she didn't want you to be there when she left. She wanted to protect you."

"Protect me? What the hell does that mean? Protect me from what?" Natasha was taking slow and deliberate steps towards the Captain, who now had himself inadvertently backed into a corner, missing the door as his original target. "Protect me from an angry outburst? Fail. Protect me from her power so I don't get hurt? Fail. Protect me from the pain of her leaving me? Again, massive fail."

Her body was now next to his, almost touching. Her expression was stern, looking at him with an intensity that made him uneasy. "You get her back, Rogers. Do you hear me?" She stepped back, pointing at him as she walked from the room. "You get her back."

~~~

"So, Cap, great idea you had there." Clint slapped Steve on the arm as he passed by, heading towards the gym for his morning workout. "Just brilliant."

"Yeah? I'm glad you think so, Barton."

Clint stopped in his tracks, knowing what Steve was up to. "No. This is yours to fix, I want nothing to do with it."

"She's your best friend, and you won't help?" Steve gave chase as Clint began towards the gym again, trying to avoid the conversation altogether.

"Cap, if (Y/N) left and had a good reason, then I don't think you're gonna get her back. You're just gonna have to deal with Nat."

Steve laughed as he shook his head, stopping in the middle of the hall. "Barton, I'm ready to run into a HYDRA base, pull that girl out by her hair, and fight for our lives rather than deal with Romanoff. I'm not that stupid."

"Could've fooled me." Clint sighed loudly as he wrapped his hands, glancing at Steve with an apprehensive smirk. "I'll help you, but if this doesn't work, it's all on you. Deal?"

"Deal."

~~~

Clint pulled out his phone to fill his friend in on the plans that he and Steve had worked out, but Natasha wasn't answering. He was now at her door, banging on it to get her attention, but the loud music inside was drowning him out.

"JARVIS, open it."

"Mr. Barton, Miss Romanoff has requested to not be interrupted."

"Open it."

The door opened to not only blaring music but the sight of Natasha, curled up on her bed with a box of Kleenex and a bright red nose. She startled when Clint walked in, unannounced. He stifled a small laugh when he saw his friend, the feared assassin known as Black Widow, reduced to a sniffling mess before him.

"Well, this is new."

"Fuck off, Barton." Nat threw off the covers that she had cocooned in, turning off the music and moving to clean up her mess. "JARVIS, you're fired."

"Sorry, Miss."

Clint began to help her make her bed as he spoke, trying to help his friend come around from the mood she was in. "We leave in 30. You should suit up." He paused as she looked at him, her eyes questioning what he meant. "Cap's going after her. But Nat, she's HYDRA now. Did you know that?"