Let Me Go (Avengers x reader)

Getting out of the tower unnoticed was going to be a bit of a challenge. Between FRIDAY being a snitch that you couldn't reprogram, and Tony never sleeping, there was always someone on the lookout. But you were determined and you were just going to have to take your chances.

As you threw your clothes into your suitcase, the memories of the mission earlier that day kept playing over and over in your head like a bad movie. It was the most violent and bloody mission that you had been on as an Avenger, and no one came home without battle scars. You weren't sure how you would survive with these images inside of you, seeing the lifeless bodies of all ages surrounding you, unable to stop it from happening, but you knew that being here would make it that much harder. Living in the tower would make it a daily reminder of what you had been a part of.

"FRIDAY?"

"Yes, miss?"

"I'm going to ask you to keep this a secret, okay? I'm leaving the tower, and I don't want anyone to know where I'm going. I know that Tony can get the information out of you, but please don't give this away. Help me to not be found."

"I will do my best, miss. Travel safely."

You grabbed your bag and slung it over your shoulder, throwing your passport and plane tickets inside. With one last look at your room and at the city lights glowing outside of your window, you let out a shaky sigh and pulled your suitcase behind you, making your final exit from the tower and from your team.

~~~

"Okay, so let me get this straight," Steve said, his fingers squeezing the bridge of his nose, his eyes tightly shut in frustration, "she managed to just walk out of here without anyone knowing, and FRIDAY has no information or visual on it? This place is under constant surveillance, and she just walked out the front door?"

"Yeah," Tony sighed. "I can't get FRIDAY to crack. She must have found a way to block her or something." He kept trying to enter commands into the computer, trying to break into the AI, but the screen would only flash in errors and restricted access. Tony was beginning to get more and more frustrated, his tapping on the keys growing louder until he finally snapped and threw the board on the ground.

"Dammit, this is my system! How the hell did she get my own program to lock me out?"

"She doesn't want to be found," Wanda whispered, sitting at the edge of the room and away from the frantic action around her. "Don't you see that? If that's what she wants, then she won't be."

Natasha looked up from her phone at Wanda's words, unable to accept that as an answer. "Wanda, we're her best friends. How could she not tell us where she was going? How could she not think that we would be looking for her?"

Wanda stood and joined the team around the conference table, glancing at the work that each person had done. The screens were filled with your personal information, locations of family members, last known sightings, and anywhere that you had travelled in your lifetime. It was impressive how much information they had gathered in only a few hours time.

"She does know. That's why you are failing."

~~~

It was strange to feel yourself within civilian life again; small things that you had taken for granted were more important to you now than ever. Sitting in the small coffee shop in the middle of nowhere was the most peace that you had experienced in years. It was wonderful and it recharged you in your quest for normalcy. Holding a cup of coffee without the sounds of FRIDAY talking to Tony in the background, looking out the window and not seeing the quinjet waiting for a mission, and eating a meal alone without counting every damn calorie allowed under Steve's training regimen were all you had hoped they would be.