Yes, Ma'am (Steve Rogers x reader)

"Andrew, I've told you this so many times, and I really don't know any other way to say it that you will understand. We. Are. Over. We aren't going to be friends, I'm not your booty call; I'm your nothing. You are my nothing." You were becoming more and more frustrated as your now ex-boyfriend stared at you, crying and begging you to forgive him of his latest transgression. His dejected expression left you with a small pang of regret, but not enough to change your mind. "I'm leaving now, Andrew. Don't follow me again. Stay here, maybe have lunch, clear your head, and forget about me."

It was really getting embarrassing, him following you so much. Today, you had ducked into a small café just to get the scene off the sidewalk and out of public display. If he wanted to work on winning you back, acting like a petulant child was not the way to do it. You had only been together for six months, and it was a shock to you that he would be having this reaction. You certainly weren't happy, so what did he think he was fighting for?

As you rounded the corner past the café, you heard his voice again. "(Y/N), come on! Why can't we work this out?"

Your pace quickened, ducking around the next corner, not even caring which way you were going. As you turned you looked back to see if he was watching, paying no attention to the man who was directly in front of you. You turned to him just as you crashed together, his arms quickly reaching out to grab you and keep you upright.

"Oh, shit! I'm sorry!" You looked up to see a very handsome, very well-built man, now looking at you with concern and confusion. "I wasn't watching where I was going...I...uh," you stammered, entranced by his soft blue eyes, now at a complete loss for words. "Um, I mean...I was just trying...to...to get away...from..."

"(Y/N), really? You're hiding from me now?"

"Are you in trouble? Is someone following you?" He moved to step in front of you, but you grabbed his hand and pulled him forward, hatching what just might be the perfect plan.

"Just play along, ok?"

His eyes were wide as you pulled him back around the corner, stumbling onto the sidewalk. "Y-Yes, ma'am."

Putting on your most confident walk, you flipped your hair back and squeezed the man's hand tightly. He easily towered over you by at least a foot, but you'd never felt taller as you prepared to confront your whiney ex-boyfriend for hopefully the last time.

You had now met up with Andrew on the sidewalk, his expression confused and growing a bit angry. He looked from you to this new man and back again. He was sizing him up, you could tell. You stifled a laugh, knowing he was no match for your new captive companion. Giving him a brief smile, you casually moved to walk past him, but he stood in your path.

"Excuse us, Andrew."

"What the hell is this?!" his hands frantically pointing back and forth between the two of you. "When the hell did you meet Captain America?! And why is he holding your hand?!"

Your stomach dropped and you began to feel your face heating up, attempting to not change your expression to one of complete humiliation. Oh god, of all the guys in New York, I had to grab Captain freaking America?

"Hello, I'm Steve. Andrew, is it?" Steve held out his hand, trying his best to be polite. "I've heard so much about you," Steve took a step forward, now toe-to-toe with your ex, holding the handshake firmly. You could see Andrew's fingers beginning to turn white from the pressure. "and I didn't like any of it. I think you should leave the lady alone now."

"Oh, you think so do you?" You closed your eyes as your dumber-than-you-thought ex boyfriend spoke. "You wanna know what I think?" He reached out to pull you towards him, grabbing your arm with the hand he still had free.

That was a really, really bad idea.

The sound of crushing bones is one you will never forget, along with the high-pitched scream and sound of Andrew's pleas as Steve held him to the ground, his arm twisted awkwardly behind him. "Now, Andrew, you are going to leave the lady alone." It wasn't a question; it was a direct order. Steve's voice was calm, controlled, and extremely sexy. You felt awkward at your attraction to him, in front of the violent scene playing out.

"I will, I will! I swear! Just let me go!"

Steve released him, still standing over the small, shaking man. " I suggest you apologize to (Y/N)."

"I'm sorry, (Y/N)." He was panting now, holding his injured hand to his chest. "I won't bother you again." He slowly stood and cowered as he walked away, never looking back to you.

You squeezed your eyes together, embarrassed now at what Steve had done for you. "I'm sorry. Oh, I'm so sorry. I had no idea who you were." You had just realized that you were still holding his hand. You released it quickly, as if it were burning your skin. "Steve...um... Captain...um..."

"Steve, please." He reached down and took your hand again. For such a powerful man with such strong hands, his skin was soft and warm, and your hand fit perfectly within it. "The way you took control back there, I believe you could easily out-rank me, given the chance."

You took a moment to look at your hands together, then up to his face with those damn beautiful eyes, trying to gather your confidence. "Well, in that case, mister, you're taking me out for a cup of coffee." His eyes brightened, if that were even possible, his face alight with the excitement of a kid at Christmas.

"Yes, ma'am."