Not An Option (Steve Rogers x reader)

Steve was never the same after that day, the day when he lost you, right in front of his eyes but just beyond his reach. His voice was never the same after screaming your name as you fell, after pushing the assailant away that would have taken his life instead of yours. His days were much darker now, and he began to lose his sense of purpose in a world that could be so cruel, even after all of the good he had done.

"Steve, you have to eat. She didn't save your life so you could waste it like this."

"Leave me alone, Banner. I don't need babysitters."

"I know," Bruce began as he sat at the table across from him. "I'm not trying to be one. I'm trying to be a friend."

Steve pushed back from the table and stood to walk away. "I don't need those, either."

~~~

A few days later, Tony had been called away to meet with Director Fury regarding the memorial service planned for you, and to discuss the situation with the Captain. Steve was the leader of the team, but with him out of commission, Tony was delegated to take his place.

"Fury, I didn't have to come all this way, you know. I don't think you really get how bad things are with Cap. Things are...fragile, to say the least." As Tony approached Nick, he noticed a look on his face that he hadn't seen before.

Nick was deliberate with his words as he spoke, "I brought you here to show you something. And yes, I get how bad things are. That's why they call me 'Director', in case you've forgotten."

He led Tony thru the headquarters building, down into the lower level and thru a maze of halls and doors before finally reaching their destination. The confusion was clear on Tony's face now as he looked at two heavily armed agents guarding a door that was secured by retinal scan, followed by another door and another agent.

"Should I be worried?"

"Our first subject in this project has been successful to this point, so we decided to see if we could replicate that success again." The first door opened as the Director scanned his eye, allowing them to move to the next.

"What subject? What the hell are you talking about?"

Fury took a deep breath and opened the second door, allowing Tony to see fully what he had meant. The shock was almost too much for him; he stumbled back and fell into the wall, unable to comprehend what he was seeing. Fury grabbed his arm to steady him, but also to reassure him. "Stark, I need you to take her back to him."

"How did you...why did you do this?"

"Tony, come on. You know why."

~~~

Steve had been in the gym, punching the bag with no sense of time as to how long he had been there. His hands were swollen and bloody, but he welcomed the pain in them; he spent each day punishing himself for your loss. He knew that Tony had gone to SHIELD to set up your arrangements, but even as your husband he felt that he couldn't be a part of them. He punched harder and more furiously the more he thought about how they could expect him to in the first place.

"Steve?"

He continued as if he didn't hear Tony behind him, even though he clearly did. He was in no mood to talk, and particularly no mood to talk about you.

"Rogers, I know you can hear me. This is important."

Steve huffed, catching the bag in his hands and squeezing until the bag burst to spill its contents on the floor. Tony jumped at the sound and took a small step back at the rageful display. Setting his jaw firmly, he spun around to see what could possibly be so important as to interrupt him when he wanted none of it.

"Stark, what could be so damn important that...you..." His words trailed off as he saw you standing next to Tony. His mouth hung open and tears immediately spilled from his eyes, but he didn't make a sound. He didn't believe it at first, and stood motionless as he tried to understand. He saw you die. He carried your body to the jet. He held you, lifeless, for hours before they made him let go. How could this be possible?

"Steve, it's me. I promise."

He continued to stand in place, his voice failing as he tried to speak. "(Y/N), why? Why did you leave me? How could you expect me to go on without you?"

Your breath caught in your throat, and you could feel an ache deep in your chest as you looked at him. He looked so tired, so sad, and so...small. "I only did what you would have done, Steve. I had to, because...because I love you."

With those words he finally moved, rushing to you and pulling you tightly to him. His hands gripped you firmly, as if he feared letting go again. His face was buried in your neck, crying as he held you. He didn't care what brought you here or why. He only cared that you were here.

You could only hope that the day would never come when he would ask.