Say Something (Steve Rogers x reader)

Based on the song "Say Something" By A Great Big World

The arguments had become more and more aggressive and personal with each day; fighting with Steve was a draining experience that took a little bit of your love for him with it. He knew how to fight dirty, to cut you to the quick, because after five years together he knew everything. Tonight, you turned the tables and fought harder than ever before, but it brought the realization that all you were doing anymore was hurting each other. It was time.

You couldn't bring yourself to talk to him right now, so after carefully placing a letter on his bedside table, you waited. You waited for almost an hour before he finally arrived, watching quietly and hidden as he picked it up, telling yourself you wouldn't stay but not being able to walk away.

My beloved Steve,

Say something, I'm giving up on you

I'll be the one if you want me to

Anywhere I would've followed you

Say something, I'm giving up on you

I can't do this anymore. I wanted to be yours forever, and I planned to be yours forever. My heart was yours to protect or to break. I trusted you to keep it safe, and my trust was broken along with it. I never asked you for more than that, and now I can see that I was asking too much.

And I... I'm feeling so small

It was over my head

I know nothing at all

And I... will stumble and fall

I'm still learning to love

Just starting to crawl

I don't know why I ever thought that I could be something important to you. You who are magnetic, powerful, and vibrant; you who has the world at your feet and your head raised to the sky. Any light that I once had inside of me has extinguished now under the brilliance of your own. It has blinded me. I cannot expect to reignite my fire by standing closer to yours.

Say something, I'm giving up on you

I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you

Anywhere I would've followed you

Say something, I'm giving up on you

Whatever this is that you are going through, know that I tried to do only what I thought was right; what I thought would help you heal. I'm sorry that I wasn't what you needed when I believed that I was what you wanted. I've followed you into countless battles, but I can't follow you into this. You fight battles for others, but you won't do so for yourself. Or for me.

And I... will swallow my pride

You're the one that I love

And I'm saying goodbye

I will be the one to take the fall on this, Steve. I will be the one to walk away, to make the decision that you could not. We both know that sometimes love isn't enough, even for us; we can fight the world at each others' side, but to fight each other is too devastating and I can't be a part of your destruction.

Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you

And anywhere I would've followed you

Say something, I'm giving up on you

Steve slowly and carefully folded the letter, slipping it into the drawer. He sat motionless for several minutes as he stared out the windows of the tower. He knew that he had promised you things that never materialized, and promised you a life that he couldn't even provide. He knew this was his fault. You had stood in the doorway, watching him as he had read your letter and now as he was coming into realization. When he noticed that you were there, all he could do was look at you through the tears welling in his eyes, waiting for you.

"Steve," you whispered, "say something."