Prologue

Copyright © ClaraRodrick (Lara Ruze) ™ 2013, 2017

The moral right of the author has been asserted. All rights reserved.

Do not plagiarize this story, no part of it may be copied, reproduced, or transmitted in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, in any manner without my (Clara Ricks's) written permission, any infringement of this is a violation of copyright law. It will be taken as an offense and will be dealt with properly.

If you find anyone copying my works, please do let me know.

~

No other translations of this story are available and I'm not giving any permission to translate the story.

~

The entire story is under extensive editing.

~

Rain will consume them.

Rain will set them free.

~

Dreaming of lilies was interpreted to be bringing blessings from the Goddess of fertility Hera, Kate had heard that somewhere. But that was based on Greek mythology. In Christian legend, however, it was connected to Eve's tears. Intriguingly, ancient Romans used to place a lily in the hands of the deceased when they were buried. So, it was fairly unclear what exactly her dream of being surrounded by strikingly white lilies meant last night.

Or it could be just the fact that it was her favorite flower—now that should be reason enough for her to be dreaming of it.

But her conclusive theory was proved wrong just hours later when she sat before the gynecologist on a bimonthly visit and was rendered the news she wasn't really prepared for. It was unexpected, what the doctor revealed to her, but nevertheless filled her heart with interminable joy. It hit her with the invigorating force of a comet.

"You're one week along, Mrs. Leon. Congratulations."

It wasn't like she was lifeless before, but this—this seemed to have made her feel more alive than ever.

She looked at the time on her wristwatch. There were still a couple more hours left for Alex to come home. So, she decided to go to her most favorite spot—the cherry blossom tree behind the centuries old Shinto shrine at the heart of downtown South-hills.

"Thanks, Kyle," getting out of the brilliant blue town car, she smiled at the head of Alex's security team—appointed to her after they got married. Getting growingly protective of her, Alex took some steps that seemed quite unnecessary to her. Yet to keep his heart, she raised inadequate protests.

As she walked closer to the tree, she was surprised for the second time that day. The cherry blossom tree had some buds coming out, peeking towards the skies from between the leaves. It was phenomenal as the tree was said to be infertile locally. No one had seen any flowers on it for ages. And yet it was going to bloom cherry blossoms soon. For a while, Kate stood there—looking up at the tree, eyes sparkling with exhilaration, mouth agape in astonishment. She thought that perhaps the tree had bonded with her over the many times she had come to sit on the tree ring.

A smile stretched on her lips. As her bangs quivered as the soothing wind touched them, the mole on her forehead revealed—one of her physical traits that Alex never got tired to say how much he loved.

Just like she had many times, she sat down on the stone ring that surrounded the tree. She brought out her notebook—more than half of its pages filled with the story she had been writing for so long now. Inspired mostly by her own emotions, the story always followed the tune of her heart. But this evening, she couldn't write a word. Leaning back on the tree bark she held the notebook open on her lap and stared at the blank pages. She found tears trailing down her face, accompanying the smile she had on her face. The blank page was drenched by her tears. The unbearably sweetish ache in her heart found its way into her notebook.